Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 AM

Wow....I was going to try to make a 17 Javelina on that action....I wonder if that will work?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Pictures of my Grandson's 600 receiver. It needs a barrel which I will do very soon and I am looking for a glass stock for it. Any out there, I can do body work.

The work was done by a group of friends that happen to be excellent gunsmiths.Mike Bryant, Wheeler, Tx, reamed the raceway, cut the lug abuttments, pinned the recoil lug, and trued the face of the receiver. Dave Kiff furnished the bolt, fluted, Sako extractor, firing pin assm., Winchester style 3 POS safety,the bolt was fitted to the reamed raceway and has a .062 firing pin. Dan Armstrong, Fairbanks, Alaska tig welded one of his bolt handles on. Dan really knows bolt timing. Pete Pieper, Precision Barrelwork, Hempstead, Tx. installed the Anschutz bolt release. Karl Feldkamp, Kampfeld Custom in Michigan did the cutout on the left hand side of the receiver and the cutout on the front of the feed port. Even with all the air miles it took 3 months to get it all done.
Butch
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Butch I was going to make a post about that action on the other board. That bugger is super. You got a lucky grandson. I think you can handle a bed job LOL. A Banser would be the way to go. They really eat recoil for their weight. My son (10yoa 82lbs) can shoot full house 7-08 from sand bags. One hand on the pistol grip one hand on the read bag with his.

King Wyatts is/was building a box that will feed PPC and BRs in a 700action. Single stack. I went with a Tac20 instead of a 20PPC. They were supposed to have them up and running by Oct or Nov last year. If they can build a box and follower to do a PPC I would think they can do one to handle a Fireball case. Mike Bryant has a step by step mod of a 700 Box on his site, seems pretty straight foward for a BR.

17jav seems to be just enough longer to feed better than a Fireball case in the 700s.FWIW

Aussie Steve Twisted14 is the man around here for all things 14cal. He built my 14-221Walker. It shoots great. 17Mach4 dies modified. I found that I can form brass easy using 17Fireball. I have not killed anything but paper yet. Cool little round. A 20-250 is way on the otherside of the rainbow.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Joe,
Other people have said good things about the Bansner stock. I did the Mike Bryant mod last year on another Grandson's rifle. We are using the BR case in it and it feeds great. This one will be a 6X47Lapua.
Butch
Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Well the 600 build is back on, I think I'll go a .20 Vartarg turbo or a plain .20/222. I intend to change out the plastic triggergaurd with a steel one, and I was also looking for an after market stock, either a fiberglass or laminate but a sporter not a big varmint one.

My main trouble now is finding some bases and rings to fit. Will rem model 7 bases fit the 600? The 7's look pretty short in the back end just like the 600's.

Anyone know what brands are avalible, I am not fussy about 1 or 2 piece but I really want the scope low.

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Default bases

You will need a 1 pc base for the 600 as it only has a single screw hole on the rear bridge. Early 7's had the single hole, newer ones have 2 so you can use 2pc setups.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info Chuck, I'll start looking around for one

Steve