Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Looking for the best 17HMR?????

Looking for a new small caliber squirrel rifle in 17 HMR. What do you guy's think is the best one for this project? I don't really care about price, but want the best built, and don't care about a fancy stock. This is going to see a lot of field use and ware-tare. Not abuse but working rifle.
Thanks, John E Rupert..........
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 AM

Anschutz 1727F, hands down. Its not even close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1hUXGJ1Tk

Last edited by Jordan; 01-09-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 AM

Here's an even better review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Ou45GHynY
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Supporting Member

I have yet to see a a Fortner action Anschutz in person and I'm sure I'd absolutely love it but this one is no slouch either!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yhfhoUiDIU

How do I know this you ask? (my barrel has been shortened to fit out a truck window better ).

First day I received this as a used rifle purchased from a board member here I took it to the range. Gopher season was going so I did a quick sight in at 50yards then fired it's first 5 shot group at 100 yards. I didn't even hang a target just aimed at the hole in the 9 on a Shoot-N-C target some guy had left on the board. Right to left breeze and I fired a weather report.

I think any Anschutz HMR you get would tickle ya pink but I'd be surprised if a CZ would disappoint ya either, I have a couple a each.
Whatever ya decide let us know how it goes for ya !
Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Supporting Member

Very interested in the replies. I like my Sako Quad in 17hmr, but I am sure there are many other options.

BTW, Fed X delivered 1k of 17 GRAIN Hornady ammo today, I am set for a few seasons now...It looks like the ammo shortage is finally slowing down and ammo is trickling to retailers. I almost passed, then realized I ought to pounce. 3 hours later the webpage said sold out!

Allen
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default 17hmr

I love to hunt tree squirrels and the Ruger 77/17 is my late season squirrel rifle.I think the Cooper JSR would be the way to go! Cooper designed the rifle for squirrel hunting. And the Cooper just looks better than any of the Anschutz.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Default a cheapy but a goody.....

A marlin 917v hands down

In all seriousness they can be had for relatively cheap (bought mine scoped for $250). Mine shoots really well (better than the 2 savage 17 HMRs I had). The trigger sucks and I'm pretty sure the stock is made out of balsa wood but its a real shooter.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Since money's no object, I think I'd round up a Martini Cadet action, and have a GM barrel put on it chambered for the HMR. THAT would be the best HMR gopher rifle, imho.

Mine worked well right to 240yards on our larger, Columbia Ground Squirrels - still able to make head and chest shots out to that range using mil dots for poi's.

The 18 1/4" bl. on mine does 2,584fps with Hornady 17gr. Vmax's. It was a $69.00 reject bl. for a bolt Ruger. I cut it off, threaded it for the Martini and cut a new chamber with a Manson reamer.

Last edited by Daryl; 01-09-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM

I like my 1727 a lot and have been shooting it for about a year now.

Here is my review of the rifle: http://www.rrdvegas.com/anschutz-1727.html

It's very hard to find a weakness to the rifle, but when I pick up a second, I will be putting it into a Manners stock of some type. The inletting pattern will be a bit tricky, but it's not impossible.

The rifle is very expensive though, and you may as well order 5 more additional magazines when you get the rifle. You'll be amazed as to how fast you can empty them.

I have a number of Fortner rifles, and they are all superb and in a class by themselves.

Do take note that both the You Tube videos linked above have some mistakes in them.

The first video lists the price in Euro's, not US dollars. The second video get the concept of lock-time incorrect, and the bolt function as well. You are to close the bolt with your thumb on the back of the bolt, not by pushing on the bolt handle. To actually realize the speed of the action, you need to use it correctly.

And for the life of my why Ozzie sets a $3000 rifle on a hard surface is beyond me. Is that table made out of steel or concrete.? I guess those Aussies are just a tough breed, but from Pete's sake man, show a little love to the rifle..!

Last edited by steve b.; 01-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM

I have always considered the differences between a Cooper and an Anschutz to boil down to this (in the rimfire world):

With a Cooper, you are buying a lovely stock that happens to come with a barreled action.

With an Anschutz, you are buying a barreled action that happens to come with a wood stock.

Both a great guns, but the advantage in wood quality is obviously a Cooper trait, but the 54 match Anschutz action, trigger, and barrel are far superior.