Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default How many firings do you expect out of your brass?

I know there are a lot of variables but in looking through my brass the other day I found Hornet cases that had been fired 8 or 9 times and still seem functional to me. Do you have a set number of firings or do you base it on primer pockets, inside measuring of the ridge ahead of the web or what's your preference?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

Hello Doug.

I don't use a set number of firings. And as you stated, case life varies greatly between various cartridges. I base my retention on how consistent the case is performing accuracy-wise and via the chrony, as well as the condition of the case's primer pockets, neck area, how many times its been trimmed from stretching, etc.

My father actually has a set of (50) Sako 220 Russian cases in 6PPC that have more than (45) firings on each. And, they still look very good and are still going strong. He doesn't compete formally, so they're plenty good enough for his use.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member

Being the ole skin flint I am, I run them until there is an obvious failure.

Aaron
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Supporting Member

Big game rounds max 1 fire form and 2 on game before they go in the target load bucket. Dangerous game, one for fire forming, one load on game before it goes in target bucket.

Varmint loads, I have some 22 Hornet with over 20 firings, I have some of the Rem brass in 17 FB that are over 9 loads and they are loaded right up there because that is where the best accuracy is in both of my 17 FBs.

I have some 308, 7x57 etc that are over ten loads and some 7 Rem mag that is at 15. I even have some 7 RUM and 460 Weatherby that are over 5 loads each. I neck size all cases only, and check for easy fit on game loads. I do not anneal cases and haven't for over 30 years.

The cases I do wear out are first from cracked necks, usually well past 15 reloads. Except for 303 British I have never had head separation on any brass I started from new. The second most common reason to toss brass is from primer pockets getting loose, but only in the ones I hot rod. If they aren't loaded hot, it is always the necks that go first.

Watch your brass closely and it will last a heck of a long time. If I annealed I would hate to think how long brass would last, I would NEVER get to buy any new stuff except for my Big Game guns.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM

I don't have an expectation ,way to many variables . I have had guns /brass combos that I could only get three reloadings and others probably near 30 .
Chamber dimensions ,brass quality , reloading practices , pressure , dies etc
Chris
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM

I am over 12x loadings on most all of my 19 Badger brass!
I loose more between the seats of my truck than to age from shooting!
Bill
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Default How many reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post

Aaron
About the same here.. Usually the primer pocket gets loose, then I scrap them. Have had some the I got small splits in the neck. This is or has been on various calibers, so it is not just pertaining to one. I have had some go bad, if you call it that after 4-5 reloads and some go 30 times. I could probably get better live, if I annealed more often.. Lazy I guess. Bill K
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post

Aaron
X3 It is usually a split neck that sends them to the scrap bin.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Up to now my 22H cases formed to 17A/H have had about 10 fireings i anneal after die-forming and after 5 fireings and i have cases in the anneal again box. i load very low compared with others and get 3,650ft/sec with 20 gr loads .
Never lost a case between seats but many in the long grass only ever lost one case to split neck since i threw away all my PPU brass. I use WW,R&P, Hornady and RWS but use different charge weights for each make due to capasities to get my prefered vel.
Wally
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Default number of times fired

I've consistently get 20 loads/case in both Rem and Win in both a BRNO and BSA Martini 22 Hornet. Using different amounts of Lil Gun for each case (11.4gn and 11.2gn) to compensate for different case capacity, and a velocity of around 3100ft/sec with a 40gn Sierra HP. This is without annealing and just neck sizing. I've never noticed split necks or enlarged primer pockets (except when I rashly tried 13 grains of Lil Gun, one shot, one case and 3,400ft/sec and the primer pocket was fat).
I've not had such consistency, nor satisfaction with a 218 Bee Martini. Whatever brilliant idea I come up with I can't get more than 9 shots/case before I get incipient head separation, using 12.6gn Lil Gun, 45gn Sierra SP, Rem brass and about 3000ft/sec. I've shifted to IMR4198 for 18 shots/case but woefully slow velocity in the Bee.