Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-13-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Wilson Trimmer Question

Wondering if anyone knows the minimum caliber these cutters will trim:
Sinclair carbide replacement cutter.
LE Wilson Titanium coated replacement cutter.

My cutter is really slowing down and I would like to upgrade to one of the above if they will go small enough. Neither one specifies the size range in their on-line descriptions. I have an email in to both companies and 'live chat' seems to be down at Sinclair.

On another note, I had a question for Redding this morning and sent them an email. Of course, I got the Auto-Reply immediately. Then, I had a real reply, with excellent information in less than 20 minutes. Always seems to be a good experience with their customer support department!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 PM

They list case holders for 17 Remington, so they do 17s. That small enough?

If you have a wildcat that Wilson doesn't make a case holder for, any smith that chambers a barrel can make you a case holder with the chamber reamer.

Wilson trimmers are the best, no pilot.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 PM

The 17/20 cutter works from 17 up to 40 caliber. It is, however, a HS steel tool. I am hoping to verify if the carbide cutter will cut cases as small as 20 caliber. The carbide cutter is a Sinclair product for the LE Wilson trimmer. The Titanium coated cutter is an LE Wilson replacement part for the trimmers that they manufacture.

I know the HS steel 17/20 replacement cutter goes small enough for my needs. While service life on mine was not bad, I would like to replace it with one that will last longer.

I apologize for not being able to put this out there in a way that makes more sense. Dang near confusing myself!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:46 PM

Give the folks at Wilson a call. They're good folks and over the years they have done or made some odd ball stuff for me. They have resharpened many cutters for me including my 17s.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 PM

I agree, they are good folks. I have an email into them and will send my old one in once I have a replacement in hand. Just can't be totally w/out right now. My current cutter is still trimming brass, just poops me out sooner than it used to.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:41 AM

I got one of their power adapters for the cutter. With an electric screwdriver and easing the cutter to the neck I get the smoothest cuts I've ever seen. I got the Sinclair stand for it years ago. Its one heck of a trimmer.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

The cutter on my Wilson trimmer will do 17 but the cutter is not "center cut" and will not trim 14 caliber cases.

I found that a Whidden Gunworks meplat trimmer is "center cut" and will do the small stuff.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772...n-case-trimmer

Last edited by RareBear; 11-14-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:28 AM

Default Wilson cutter

I think I remember buying a carbide 17cal cutter for a Wilson from PTG - some time ago.