Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-04-2017, 02:06 AM

Default LVSF pad decay

Remington sent me a new stock today to replace the LVSF .17 Rem pad that was turning to goo. I was given a choice of the old stock or another one and thinking it was a TI magnum contour jumped at the option. It turned out to be a tactical https://www.remington.com/shop/700-T...3-Pa/p/F114180

Anyway I want a sporter stock and I think this one is also a drop in model in the magnum 2952
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1058

Can anyone confirm this? Anyone want to buy this stock they sent me?

Can anyone tell me who made the pad so I can call them and just replace it as it's their fault not Remington anyway and I hate to remove the stock now as it's shooting lights out and it's still a little bit of calling time left for coyotes before turkey season.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:31 AM
Supporting Member

I have a TI Mountain rifle stock for sale in the classifieds. Its olive green with black splatter. The B&C SKU # for it is 2950-97 as shown in your B&C link. I have no experience with the 2952 stock bit it looks like it might fit from the description.

A Remington magnum barrel contour like on the LVSF will not fit in the #2950 TI stock without removing some material from the barrel channel.

The recoil pads on the LVSF are made by LimbSaver. You might contact them and tell them about the pad. They replaced one for me several years back when it went gummy.

As an aside, I also have a LVSF stock that I would sell if you're interested. Remington replaced an original stock with the one I have and it has a slightly different recoil pad like what you find on newer Remington rifles, but otherwise it's a black LVSF stock still in the original box. This happened at the same time that LimbSaver sent me a new recoil pad, so I replaced the pad on the stock I had and still have the LVSF stock which Remington did not want back when I offered to send it back.

HTH...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-04-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I'd look their full line of stocks over and
contact them right away to see if they'd
swap for one you'd rather have.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-04-2017, 12:18 PM

I went with a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate on my LVSF. Took the L out of the equation, laminates are pretty dense. Sold the original factory stock on eBay so it was cost effective to make the change. Very accurate rig.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
I'd look their full line of stocks over and
contact them right away to see if they'd
swap for one you'd rather have.

I didn't see the Ti magnum contour offered any longer in a rifle or a stock. I just want a straight sporter but don't want to go through having to change out the no cut out of the ADL I'll call them Monday and see if they have it and it's just not listed. I do like having the option on this one for a bi pod attachment and a sling stud up front. The forend had that same odd shape as the old stock but the materials are a lot better it seems like. If the forend were "normal" I'd love it. It just feels odd in the hand although it's better on a bench I guess
Old 02-05-2017, 01:33 AM

My LVSF, a 308, the pad is turning to goo.
To keep from getting a sticky black spot on my shirt I have been rubbing sand or dirt on the pad.
Works but a new pad would be better.

M
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM

That's an H.S. Precision stock, they are better than any B&C I've got. Going price on the forums and fleabay should be 300 to 350 NIB.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Clark View Post
My LVSF, a 308, the pad is turning to goo.
To keep from getting a sticky black spot on my shirt I have been rubbing sand or dirt on the pad.
Works but a new pad would be better.

M
I upgraded from grit to camo duct tape. Boy, that black goo does a number on clothes.
My pad was fine until it came back from Bell And Carlson after a camo dip. That now-discontinued service was a bargain considering the price and quality (<80 bucks total, round trip); kind of like the passing of those great LVSFs - a great product/service that didn't satisfy the "bean counters". Mine, done in B&C's "Freedom Green" is a real looker.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimecovers3 View Post
Remington sent me a new stock today to replace the LVSF .17 Rem pad that was turning to goo. I was given a choice of the old stock or another one and thinking it was a TI magnum contour jumped at the option. It turned out to be a tactical https://www.remington.com/shop/700-T...3-Pa/p/F114180

Anyway I want a sporter stock and I think this one is also a drop in model in the magnum 2952
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1058

Can anyone confirm this? Anyone want to buy this stock they sent me?

Can anyone tell me who made the pad so I can call them and just replace it as it's their fault not Remington anyway and I hate to remove the stock now as it's shooting lights out and it's still a little bit of calling time left for coyotes before turkey season.
I have an lvsf sporter stock. Good pad. The barrel channel is opened up slightly to accommodate a #2 shilen barrel. I may be open to a trade. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default Remington will also just send you a butt pad

Same problem, only noticed it when I had to pry the gun out of my safe. Remington offed to replace the stock, but I had spent a lot of effort putting some steal rods in the stock as well as bedding the action and 2 inches of the barrel. Not pretty jobs, but it cured the problem of change in poi when the barrel heated after 5 shots.

Turns out that the butt pad is actually glued to the stock, not a simple screw on job. Didn't use sand or duck tape, but tissue paper. Stuck to the butt pad like glue and stopped messing up my shirts.

Alex