Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Flash hole questions

I have a couple of questions for minds vastly greater than mine.

The flash holes in 4.6x30 brass I am using for a new 17 are smaller than typical. I believe that they are .060 and a small percentage of them are not centered exactly, which creates problems when decapping. I purchased a drill guide and drill to ream them out to .065. My question is if I drill out the flash holes that are not quite centered the hole will be oval and slightly larger than the .065, will this affect accuracy? Should I junk the ones that are not centered? should I leave the holes as is?

Thanks

fdg
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 PM

I'd leave them as is and just junk those that are off center. OTOH, I don't decap with my press at all anymore. I bought one of Neil Jones' decapping tools. It should work fine with slightly off-center flash holes.

There's a lot of debate on accuracy vs. flash hole size with no clear winner. Another line of thought is the larger the flash hole, the more pressure that gets transferred to the primer pocket. There's been some anecdotal evidence for the latter, but I haven't seen any concrete evidence.