Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 AM

Default Sako trigger details needed

I just picked up an old 461 varmint style (old enough to have the nicer bottom metal with the little lever instead of the plunger) in .222 for a good price. When I took it apart to give it a good cleaning, I noticed that the trigger was flopping around.

There are two opposing screws (on opposite sides of the pin that holds the trigger to the receiver) that appear to control sear engagement. The one in front has a lock nut on it. The one in back cannot be adjusted with the trigger mounted, but it has nothing to lock it in place.

I'm guessing that the rear screw is supposed to be immobilized somehow and a previous owner was messing with the trigger and didn't secure it properly. Does anyone know anything about this? Have any ideas about what the correct, i.e., safe, amount of sear engagement needs to be?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 AM

Lightbulb You should......

......set the screw such that the upper edge of the trigger housing is approximately level, or has an even gap, with the bottom surface of the action.......when the front pivot screw is tightened. This leveling screw is held in its position by the force exerted with the front pivot/locking screw.

Note: NEVER try to loosen, or tighten, the front screw....without backing the locknut out, to a position that is even with the top of the slotted screw. This temporary positioning of the locknut will help prevent splitting the top of the slotted screw, due to screwdriver blade pressure.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM

That helps a lot, Kevin. I especially appreciate the tip about the lock nut.

So, I shouldn't use a little blue LocTite on that other screw?

I noticed that the trigger was loose on another barreled action that I have in the closet. Now I'm going to be fiddling with triggers for a while, checking them all. Curiously, I've never messed with any of them--never felt the need.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 AM

Smile I wouldn't......

......use Loctite on a screw that small. The trigger housing pressure is plenty.

Actually, I try NOT to use loctite on any trigger screws. Instead, I use clear fingernail polish. It's real cheap..........I steal it from my wife.

Kevin