Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 AM

Default 14 caliber reference info

Anybody got any links for references on this 1? I'm considering a Ruger Charger in 14-17 HM2.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Sounds interesting. Please keep us informed of your results. Unfortunately I have no 14 cal experience.

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM

I have dies made and a barrel mounted in an H&R Handi rifle for a 14HMR. Only thing that is holding me up is finding light weight .14 cal bullets, best I can do is the 15gr Genco's and I need to find 10's or 8's for the 10 twist barrel I have. That could also be an issue for you because you will not be able to drive them very fast with the mach2. If you have any sources for light .14 bullets please let me know. Larry

Old 02-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Default I might be able to help you out....

Larry,
I’m sending some light weight 14 caliber bullets to Frank and Twisted Barrel to do some testing on for us before we make a big run of them. I can send you a few to try in your 10 twist barrel as well if you can send us back information on your results with them. I’m not sure I can help you out too much with the 8 grain though as the bearing surface on them would be too small to work well with the swaging dies we currently have.

I think with our current set up the 8 grain will be too light in the nose to stabilize and unless you went with a zero freebore reamer in your chamber it would be a mighty long jump to the lands. I should have another option in the near future and could use you to test them with your 1 in 10 twist barrel for us if you’re interested.

Can I ask you what made you decide on going with the 10 twist barrel?

Carl Chapman

Extreme Accuracy
www.extremeaccuracy.net
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 AM

I bought the barrel used, and the maker is unknown. It is a stainless mistery barrel. I just used it because it only cost me $40.00. Larry
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 AM

Default The mystery barrel....

Larry,
I wonder if you have yourself one of Red’s original barrels from Walker Machine? At any rate for $40.00 you got a heck of a deal even if you just use it as a walking stick. If it goes bang too and groups worth a darn you really got a good deal! You had better make sure it's not one of the original .142 caliber barrels though. If it is a .144 caliber and not a .142 caliber and you’re interested in trying out some bullets in the 12 grain range shoot me your address by email and I’ll try to get you some samples headed your way. I hope to get data back from Frank and Marty on their success with the light bullets too so I know they work well in multiple guns with several different powder and primer combo’s. I know winter is a bad time to ask guys to head to the range for me but I’d like to have them ready before spring hits.

If I can get the time I’ll try to get you some 10 grain as well but it might take me a little longer. I’ll see what I can do to get some 8’s made and if they actually look like they’ll fly straight I’ll have you demo those in the 10 twist too.

Carl Chapman

Extreme Accuracy
www.extremeaccuracy.net
email:extremeaccuracy@comcast.net
Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 AM

I just slugged the bore, (not an easy task with a .14) and it is dead on .144. It is 4 lands and grooves. I will PM you my address. Thanks again, this is the only thing that has been holding up the project. Larry
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 AM

Thks. for the info here guys. I was looking at the HM2 case today, and i'm thinking of rethinking this project. I may see if i can get an Excel Arms 17 HMR pistol and installing a new barrel or maybe the Cricket Hunter/Silhouette pistol when they come out with it--soon supposedly? I'd like to use the heavier bullets if possible. I'm gonna use it for jackrabbits, priaire dogs, and crows as far out as i can kill them cleanly. I'm wondering if i can equal the 17 bullets at distance (200-250 maybe??)

What would u guys recommend for barrel maker/twist rate?

OK, just went to Carl's website--looks like the true 14 cal. 1-stop shop to me

Last edited by sshcoyote; 02-09-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up Re .14 cal

G'day from downunder . :>)

G'day Guys , I have two .14 squirrel barrels that I am playing with at the moment .

These were made for me by Match Grade Machine for my contender g2 , one is a 1 in 10 twist 11.75 inch stainless pistol barrel and the second one is a 20 inch 1 in 7 twist stainless carbine barrel , both of these barrels were built on Pac Nor super match grade stainless barrels .

The pistol barrel shoots 15 grain genco projectiles great , I just need to give it a run on some long eared furry silhouettes ( rabbits ) as of yet I have not started with the carbine barrel because am having too much fun with the pistol .

Regards Paul . :>)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Default 14 stuff

Good to see the 14's back in discussion again, been a long time since I saw so much traffic.

I'll let the cat further out of the bag with Carl at Extreme Accuracy. I did help him set up his 14 line with remaining equipment/dies that I had. We made some bullets and shot them immediately to prove the bullets/setup were good. Carl then made some by himself with only my supervision. Although he was shooting on a rickety 55 gallon drum, the groups were as good as I had hoped for, and I believe more than good enough for most shooters. I have confidence that he is capable of making 14 bullets and that he will be able to satisfy all of you with his bullets.

I will continue to help Carl develop the smaller bullets, although I admit I am a little confused with the 10 twist.

I have also decided to get back into the bullet making business after I move, going on to larger bullets. (calibers to be decided after doing some investigation) I estimate being back in business by the winter. Carl will be my distributor. I have a temporary address at yahoo, it is russlucas2@yahoo.com.

good luck to all
russ