Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Larry,
Not going to disagree with anyone here, but I will bring up some points I am wondering about. I have heard that the 6-1/2 were designed for Hornet type loads, Calhoun's essay on primer construction says the 6-1/2 are fine for Hornet type loads, and I used up to at least 11.7 gr. H110 in my CZ 527 with no trouble. At this point, I don't think that the Factory Crimp die helped the situation any. The few I pulled were fairly tough to pull. I did have heavy bolt lift, too. Any comments on the additional things I brought up?

Danny

My CZ527 was making pin holes in my .17 hornet loads with Remington 6 1/2's. Problem was the firing pin needed to be smoothed out.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM

I forgot to comment on your heavy bolt lift --- that is usually a pretty good indicator your loads are TOO hot . Also put a dab of lube on your bolts locking lugs
Chris
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

Default Rem 6 1/2

What lot# are they I'll check mine.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 AM

All I ever found on the inner sleeves was a stamped "32". After sleeping on.this, I am starting to think that tolerances stacked up against me, causing higher pressure at lower charges. Someone mentioned the reduced capacity of the Winchester brass, then I put a Lee Factory Crimp on it, just like they describe in.the instructions. I found out just how heavy that is when I pulled them. I will try a load later on with WSR and no crimp, maybe with a bit less powder.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
What lot# are they I'll check mine.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
I forgot to comment on your heavy bolt lift --- that is usually a pretty good indicator your loads are TOO hot . Also put a dab of lube on your bolts locking lugs
Chris
Chris,

Thanks. That is what I always knew. I was alarmed because it was on starting levels of powder. See my last post about what I think happened.

Danny

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:15 AM

Chris,

Got it! I am going to view the tip under the optical comparator at work to get a good look. I would like to, but don't know if I have the time, to make a split collet to chuck the pin in the lathe to shorten it a bit more neatly than I can do by hand.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
If the firing pin has a small dente in the center it will act as a mini hole punch . The firing pin needs to be blended so the hole is gone . You dont want to make it more pointed but the lowest point of the tiny hole needs to become the tip again .Dont want to change the diameter and only change the firing pin length the minimum amout to blend the tip .
Chris

Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 AM

Danny
if you are handy and comfortable doing it you can do it with a stone . If you do, proceed slowly as on such a small surface area material is removed quickly
Chris
Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Banned

Default Rem

No lot# on my boxeswhats up with that ive used them in my 22 hornet with no problems. But got pin holes in them when used on the .204. Went to WSR and no more problems. Sorry I couldnt help.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 AM
Supporting Member

Small pistol primers and Rem 6 1/2 work great in 22 Hornet and 218 Bee loads, and they significantly improve the groups as well. They DO NOT work well in anything higher pressure like 17 FB, 221 FB, 204 , 17 HH etc. Use a proper SR primer like the CCI.

17 HH should not be crimped. The lack of a canaleure makes it impossible to get consistent crimps and you will generally have WAY too much grip on the bullet. 2-3 thou neck tension is more than good enough.

The face of the firing pin can easily cause pin holing. Rarely is it too much protrusion but if the pin is not properly rounded and smooth, pin holing of the primer will happen way below high pressure being hit.

As to your hard bolt lift, my bet is if you quit crimping that will go away.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Today I again fired my Cooper Hornet after recontouring the firing pin. I used a small rifle primer besides the Remington 6-1/2. Off of the top of my head, I don't remember which, but I think Winchester. I made this load more correct to the load in the Hornady manual, one for the 35 gr. VMax and H-110. I also did not use the Lee Factory Crimp die. I worked up some loads to beyond the starting load that had previously had bolt lift issues and a pierced primer today. None of that happened today. The only downside is that I outshot the Cooper with the first loads on my Ruger No. 1 V Swift.

Danny