Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell

I do just that exact thing, drop me a pm and I'll help you build yours.

Tia,
Don
reloader@gbis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
I use my chamber reamer to make seating dies, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using their seating die without innards and a screw on base to fireform with Cream of Wheat in a seating die.

I was thinking about building a system that would contain the COW and not spread it all around and be able to screw seating dies like I make into to fire form brass. That would also take it out of the firearm category.

I haven't figured out all the details but it seems to me like it would work.

I am working with 3 cartridges now, the 17 HH with Rem Hornet cases, a 20 AI Hornet and a 6MM Dasher.

Since so many people have moved in around me I find it harder to find places to shoot a lot of rounds without driving a long ways.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Lowell
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Can't beat Don's offer!

Don't know about your situation but, I live middle house of seven on the block right in town. Built a big brick shop and welded up a 9" pipe a couple feet long with a short leg and 2" thick steel disk on back, stuff it with foam and let fly even with full powered .375's at times. Many more .38's though, but, quite a few .45 Colts. Man it's loud in the shop but, I've never had any complaints except the time I had the big door open. Just told the cop and had to show him it was "just my rose bud torch popping". They've left me alone since, but, I also keep the doors closed now too.
Last session with it was 21 rnds of this .358 fireforming loads. IF you have a building that would be safe to shoot in, this might be a fix. At one time I fired into a 20' section of plastic pipe using COW. Didn't muffle it much though.

Just an idea is all. Best of luck getting it sorted out.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-27-2015, 09:36 PM

George, Thank you for the info.

When I built my shop 14 years ago, it is made with concrete in foam (CIF) construction for the first 8 feet up. County would not let me go the full 12 feet without having the plans engineered.

The walls are 8" concrete with 4" of foam insulation and 5/8" of cdx inside and 1/2" outside paneling . The big 3 door equipment access I made 6 inches thick with foam insulation, the 4' stud wall is 2x6 studs insulated to R37 and the ceiling to R42.

This was done for two reasons, one sound containment and temp control. My closest neighbor is 150 feet from the shop and they complain about every thing except shop noise.

I can still shoot outside but only to test firearms, a very short range. I did shoot my M2HB 50 BMG semi-auto 10 rounds in my driveway one afternoon, when I still had it. Funny no one complained about those shots. LOL; I have found that what ever COW forming I do in the shop attracts the mice and bugs because I can't seem to get it all cleaned up.

This effort is more about being able to make cases inexpensively and not wasting bullets. We have to travel for PD shooting and even the gophers and sage rats are almost a days drive.
Thanks to all for sharing your ideas and help. I do appreciate the information and experience. I have e-mailed Don for his input.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-28-2015, 04:36 AM

Lowell:
There's not much available for small cals in cast bullets. That's what I use in a lot of things for fireforming, like this 358. Just use cast .38 slugs I never use otherwise. That pipe collects 'em too, so if n whenever I can dump it out and remelt it sometime.
The range isn't very far though, I could get close to 50' but, mostly just shoot sitting on the steps at about ten feet.
My shop is close to a foot thick double brick, concrete filled centers, 13'6" hi walls, West end is about 4' cut so even if I'd put one thru the wall it's not going anywhere except into the dirt bank.

Neighbor on that side is mid 80's and not over 30 feet from the pipe. Don't know but, guess she might be as deaf as me. She did call daily for a long time when I park a few feet on her side of the line on the street. Put a stop to that in short order. Don't know where she came from thinking she owns the street!

Wish you well, you'll figure it out.
George

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell

I won't be able to call out for a couple of days,

Power/PH guys removing/installing ALL elect/PH lines etc, for the complete remodel, everything is going under ground, instead of overhead etc.

I can call out, emergency use only, don't own a Cell ph.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 05-29-2015, 09:50 PM

Don, Not a problem, when ever is easy for you. Hope this was a planned remodel.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell

Email sent,
still can't use the phone, now they want a code # to call out,
WTH is going on with them ????????????????.

Tia,
Don
Ronald Reagan
Old 06-06-2015, 11:37 PM

Lowell:
Just rereading this whole thread killing time I should be doing something constructive. See I missed something quite important that might help others in the same situation we've been in, for us, it's too late but, who knows the next guy or project.

Engineering: parts of a building is mostly a bluff, bullshit deal the jerks with a little authority pull on guys trying to adhere to "code". I had that pulled on me using 1940's steel truss's for my shop. I had to have them: "engineered" to prove they'd hold up the wt of 1/2" plywood and shingles over a 18' span when they had come off a concrete roofed gov'mnt building full length of 23'4".
That ruffled my feathers as I was in the middle of a big battle with the head of building here at the time.

All that "engineering" amounts to is comparing your actual measurements to a chart listing all the various size's ever made for that particular material, or item. I was bluffed into hiring an architect to do this "engineering" and approve my building process/designs. All he did was get a truss page opened and looked it up. Sure enough my changing these truss's to a pitch roof instead of flat as they'd been used for 50 yrs. Proved my design increased the load bearing some over 3 times full span ratings. Guys, don't let those jerks jerk you around!!

This guy running the building office at the time sent me a list of 21 items he claimed did not meet code along with a "stop Work Order recinding my permit". I quit work on the shop and spent two weeks looking things up at the library in the code books and responding to every one of them. Guess what?? I was RIGHT, he was wrong on every single item!!

I forced a meeting of the full building committee over it. Made every one in there a copy plus some extras so they wouldn't get lost! and we started discussing things. Clint got embarrassed and/or P'd and left, never came back. The board members told me: "he's just trying to jerk me around showing he's boss, he's totally wrong, your permit is reinstated, good luck and if you have any more trouble with him, or questions about your project contact one of us, we'll help". From then on the insp just about kissed me everytime I called for an inspection.
Wish it was so I could post that folder of some 50 pages of that battle to help educate others. Just don't let 'em bluff you, make 'em prove you're not up to code, don't accept them just telling you it's not! One of the things he said I couldn't use was green rebar I'd gotten from a recent interstate bridge rebuild, I asked for the left overs: "sure, take all you want from that pile". Hey, if its good enough for a bridge, it's sure as hell good enough for my shop walls and footer!

There's several people around this town that have found I am up to the challenge's they throw at me!

Enjoyed this thread, hope my input helps, anyone with questions just ask me I'll do my best to answer. IF I don't know, I'll point you to someone that does.

it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-06-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: more bs n typo's
Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

I just reload my unformed 17AH cases with a normal hunting load and go out hunting no problems.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Supporting Member

Wally I do the same as you. While I respect others ideas about forming cases, I feel like it's a waste of good primers and powder/filler for me. FFing cases have been some of my most accurate rounds in some cases. Putting 500 rounds down the barrel FFing cases on PDs is a very fun process for me. There have been times where I may not get to shoot the formed case loads for another year but I'm in no race so it don't much matter to me.

That said at one time I thought the hydraulic form died would be the way to go but backed off that idea after speaking to guys who used them.