Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 AM

My small Sakos (4) are setup for varmint shooting with longer scopes that go to at least 20X. I use a Weaver style base with the longest possible front base, something that extends an inch or so past the action. This is to have less unsupported scope hanging out there beyond the ring. No matter what base, the rings are strictly Burris Signature.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 AM

Default Sako rings

Probably I will use a 1" tube. Leaning toward a 4.5-14 Leupold. May be a bit overscoped on a 17rem for yotes mainly but I've got this scope on a couple other rifles. Still...... Decisions, decisions!
BYB great idea on using shot on the bases. Thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Sako Mounts

I have on my 223 L461 a Leupold 4.5-14X40 and find it a great scope, am very happy with it. The mounts I used which you may be able to make out in the picture were a locally made Australian brand called Hilver. But were also marketed as Tasco brand, just re-badged Hilvers.

The only pic I can find at the moment that shows the mounts, sorry about the wild life in the picture.

As you can see the scope is low to the barrel which is how I like to have my scopes mounted.

Pete
Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I've recently started changing scopes on some of my rifles and took the 4-12x?off the L461 and found the back tapered ring was a loose fit. So much so that it would fit the front taper better. Yet it had the locator pin on the back end. It's always been tight and no slack in the scope. Can't recall who changed the glass for me some yrs back. But, the original rings came with the rifle as a new purchase back in '72 in Germany. I don't believe this back one is what came with the gun new.l I never knew there was a problem until changing things this time. The gun shot several ten shot groups less than 1/4" so the ring was locked down tight.

Since the scope I'm putting on has a thick adjusting band besides a 50mm lens I've had to go with the extra tall rings. They're on the way from Optics Planet now, am not sure what brand of rings they are. Hopefully, they'll be tall enough for this glass. I bought three of these scopes from from Midway for $110 each shipped, 6.5-20x50mm.

Mainly because they'll focus down to 30 feet in all power settings. I have a brick gate post and checked all three thru all settings looking at the specs and lines in the bricks about that distant without actually measuring it.

Some of you may recall reading where I had a H of a time focusing a K-6 Weaver on those hogs heads at about 30ft. Just too close for the scope. I'm trying to correct this problem and don't have the funds to buy higher priced glass this time around. I've had great service from Simmons the two items I had a problem with.

Re: grass stems inside the back lens of a 15x binocs, they swapped n/c for a 12x better glass. Then had another guy install a new Simmons scope on a rifle I'd loaned him, he crushed the barrel by over tightening the screws. I explained to them what happened and I'd be willing to pay for the new scope. Nope, N/C! Regardless of the price you can't beat such warranty as this imo.
That's what we hope for when things go wrong.

Thanks for the read,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"