Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default Baca and Prowers County

Thanks for the update, now I wis i had packed my Hummer instead of the C1500 truck...
I am picking up a motorcycle to bring back to Illinois, so the truck seemed like the most sense to take..
I have never been there when the roads were impassable. Their soil usually dries up quickly plus it never rains very much there.
Glad to hear PDs are on the comeback. I have a lot of ammo I loaded 7-8 years ago for them. I never used it because of all the new 17 calibers I was experimenting with..

I am leaving work in about 6 hours to start my westward journey. My Brother left Washington state 3 hours ago and my parents are leaving from here in an hour. We should all converge in Lamar tomorrow morning..
BHB

Last edited by Bighornbob; 05-27-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Yes they do require small game license.

Anyone born after 1949 must have a hunter safety card or there will

be no license in Colorado. They are serious about this. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

There's a five day license I think. Much cheaper but, the same requirements.
Doubt you'd need to worry about the age limits though. Right?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

Can you pronounce incarceration ?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:47 AM

Yep, that's about all you can do up there on that short range.
Come down here on the open space n shoot at our 425, or IF it's opened by then, 600yds.

Don't think a 'guest' on private land would have to get a license here. I know they want to sell more N/R tags but, I don't believe the law says you'd have to get one as long as you're on private with permission.

Any idea when and for how long you'll be out here?

George

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-14-2015, 04:23 AM

Harold:
Great you got to shoot a few while out here. As I said before, thought you weren't coming for a few more weeks. Then heard you were nearly home.
Assume you made it by now.

SO: Tell us, how many, and how far etc.

Thing is G/Earth don't take those pictures everyday. I looked my place up several months ago and my late wife was standing in the back door. She's been dead since Halloween '03. Looked again a couple months ago and there's a different picture there. They caught up with things. Last I looked they didn't have my newest car in the street view yet, but ,the last one n Ram and old work truck were.

Amazing to even have such things!

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 AM

Nice rig, sure nice n green when it rains out here isn't it? Bet you couldn't drive that pasture now, it's rained several inches the last few days. Down here it's 4800'. IF you think it's hard to breathe "that low", best not go up Pikes Peak at 14,110'!! Shucks, we have 54 "hill's" over 14,000' out here. Quite a few passes on the main hwy's go over 11,000'.
I always try to advise folks coming out to hunt to spend a couple days "down here", then go to camp at (8-10,000') and loaf around a couple more before trying to hike the hills for elk. There's some that die every year out here from altitude sickness.

100rnds in FOUR hours?? How long was your nap?? That's not enough to warm the barrel much. Try 400-700 shots in a day at 'em. For that you need 3-4 or more rifles to keep 'em cooling down.

Have you gone on one of the Saubier pr/dog shoots?

Still, I'm glad you got in half day of it and got on the clubs list now for next time.

Assume things are well enough at home.
Take care, thanks for sharing with us.

it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-19-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 AM

I think your pace was just right. Quality over quanity, thats the way to go. Enjoy each shot.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 AM

I've never used a range finder ever. Bought one just before I got sick and the box was emptied when I looked when I was able to get in there. One next to it had a $480 glass too, two Grand Slams gone too. Believe I'm closing in on who took a lot of that stuff now. Am taking notes on what he offers to sell.
Will have a talk with his boss when I have enough to matter.

Seldom find enough p/dogs to shoot that much. Folks rented a ranch in the middle of several big towns. I was the only one that shot 'em up except Dad popped at a few with an '06. He and I shot some with his .375 a couple days. Don't take many with that thing to be more than enough shooting.

Jim: Good to see you got back on here.

More rain tonight. We average about 10-12" a yr here, past two months we've had some over 11" now.

Rider told me he spent the last week at the family ranch near Campo in the SE corner, grass is 6" high and weeds waist high. Took two days to mow around the house. Sure good to see things so green, lakes full and rivers running to the max too. Pueblo Reservoir is within 5 feet of being as full as it's ever been. Had been drawn down for spring run off about ten feet now it's back up higher than it had been and the Arkansas is running right at flood stage steady.

Harold: That's how so many folks and truckers get in trouble on our hills. Only time you should ever use brakes is to get it slowed down enough to drop another gear. Use those gears to hold your speed down. Riding the brakes will burn them up and you'll have a run away!! Have you been over Wolf Creek Pass yet? It used to be 9% grade about 7miles on the west side, now it's only 7%. I hauled a cat 666 scraper over it one time, something like 239,000lbs. Never used my brakes once. 42 miles took 5 1/2 hours. Keep that in mind and tell whoever did the driving that too. Keep 'em outta trouble! Quite a rock pile isn't it?

it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-16-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: fixings