Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Default J Unertl 4X scope

Need some advice guys,
My neighbor asked what I know about scopes? Said he has what he called a good scope on his .22 that had a broken reticle. I thought to myself, probably a $40 scope that isn't repairable. I don't know much about scopes but I said I would look at it. He brings it over and Surprise, it's a J Unertl 4X scope. I asked him where he bought it, said he wasn't sure anymore, had it that long. I said I definitely believe it is fixable. Now I have heard about guys that repair these, but I've also heard about guys with bad experiences, something I would like to avoid. Any body here have first hand experience with a reputable person who you would recommend to take this job on?
Thanks,
Stan
Old 05-20-2015, 03:04 AM

I had a 4X Unertl Hawk, it was an internally adjusted scope. The crosshairs did not stay centered as you adjusted the scope. The crosshairs on the externally adjusted Unertl scopes are replacable. I had sent on to TK Lee to have a dot installed on one of mine.......
Old 05-20-2015, 03:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wow, sounds like a relic. Is that one of those with the two foot long tube?
If so, how about sharing a picture with us just to enjoy the thrill.

Good luck on getting it fixed for the guy.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Supporting Member

Default Unertl

Harold,
I'm not certain but I believe this would be the Small Game scope, it is the 3/4" tube scope with external adjustments. I've never encountered one of theses smaller Unertl scopes but have owned a couple of the 15X and 12X scopes.
Herb,
I'm not familiar with TK Lee and their dots, but after doing a search, it looks like a great company. Per their website, they're not accepting any scopes at this time due to health issues.
George,
this scope is more like 12-14" in length. I haven't posted a picture in a while, I'll see if I can do that a little later on today.
Thanks for your help so far guys,
Stan
Old 05-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Supporting Member

This guy may be able to help you if his website cannot. http://unertl.alexweb.net/unertl36.htm
Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM

Default Unertl scope

I collect Unertl, Weaver, B&L scopes. Two things I consider before doing any restoration is tube condition, no scratches or blue wear or missing adjustment caps. Optics should be clear and scratch free. I also consider the value of the scope itself. Scope finish restoration and lens replacement is not possible in most cases. With that said, a scope must be in great condition for it to be a candidate for a repair or restoration. A crosshair replacement will cost in excess of $100 for that scope. Two repair facilities that have done a good job for me in the past are Parson's scope service and Iron Sight scope repair.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

Target Shooter Optics. Bill Ackerman, father of the Weaver Target Scopes.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Have no first hand experience with L&K Scope Repair other than selling them a couple of older Weaver scopes with delaminated lens for parts. Owner is an older gentleman who worked years for Weaver. Was impressed with his knowledge. Have no idea if he works on Unertls.

http://www.lkscoperepair.com/
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Unertl

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've just talked with Aaron Davis in Ohio. We were discussing Unertl scopes and their excellent reputation and I asked him if there is an official Unertl company so to speak, he said that is me! After stating what I have and what I needed, he said the 4X is rather rare and depending on condition, could be worth up to $600.00. Like Harold suggested, it is a 4X small game hunter model. It seems the 6X was more popular and more of these were produced. Think I'll tell my neighbor that it isn't worth fixing and I'll be glad to take it off his hands. Aaron seems like a first rate guy and I plan to send it to him for repair and I'll of course report on his (hopefully) great customer service.
Thanks again,
Stan
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM

You mentioned Aaron Davis in Ohio, but what is the company name and a contact point, if you don't mind saying. I like to keep track of repair sources for Unertl scopes myself, in case I need them in the future. Thanks.