Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

Default Memorial Day

Yea the big three day weekend is here. But lets not forget what this Holiday is for. It is to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice defending our nation. To thank them for giving their lives so we may live our lives as we choose.

I ask that while you are enjoying your BBQ's to take a moment and say a prayer, or a moment of silence, or even a few words. Just a few moments is all I ask. They deserve it.

Hope you all have a safe and great weekend.

Steve
Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 AM

Well said.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:09 PM

Great reminder. Consider it done.
Burt
Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Thanks for the post Stevo. For those of us who served it was not about fanfare or accolades. It was our honor to serve this wonderful country and most, if not all of us, would do it again if ever asked or needed... regardless of which way the prevailing political winds may blow.
Regards to all, Charlie
Old 05-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the reminder.

And to those who have served, and have family members they might see this weekend

Thank you all for your service,

from a guy who missed Viet Nam by 4 years.

Allen
Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

The unfortunate part of all is for every one person that bows his or her head there are 8 others that will not even acknowledge memorial day- or even know why it exists, just a day off. Thank you thank you thank you to all that have sacrificed for this great country.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Thank you for the reminder and Thank you to all that have served. Most of us have lost many friends and relatives in the effort to keep us free and the world better.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 AM

I'm feeling more than a little sad this Memorial Day weekend, sad for the brave men and women who fought and died in Iraq and Afghanistan only to see ISIS now making gains that no one ever dreamed would happen

'Tis like Vietnam all over again, maybe even worse.

God help us!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Amen. When I see some of my "kids" (college students I teach) graduate and go in the service I am thankful, but I worry for them.

As engineering grads they can do the math and evaluate the risks, but they are young, so nothing will ever happen to them. They will look me in the eye and say "I'll be O.K." Most are, but some are not. It is hard for me; I can't imagine for their families.

God watch over them all.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Watching these boys come home wounded, or...

... deaf, like some of my students and techs did from Vietnam really hurt.

Worrying about kids talk about flying Warthogs in Iraq and having the ground crew patch the bullet holes in the wings with something that looked like duck tape. Then talk about going back because their furlough was over puts a lump in your heart.

Talking to friends that did come home after two tours, wounded and unable to go back to Vietnam a third time brings a sense of wonder at the love of country these guys must have felt.

I managed to miss all of the "fun", having done my time before Vietnam. Barely missed Gitmo where we were all setup to invade Cuba over the missile crisis. Had three kids by the time to get out and passed on going regular. Classmates in "charm school" who came back from Korea, even though it was supposedly "all over", when they came to dinner with my family at Fort Monmouth were seriously changed.

Yet despite all this, young men and some old put their country first. My Scout Troop just sent one (an Eagle) off to the Naval Academy, and two of out Eagles tried to go into the Marines.

Last year one of my youngest son's classmates was honored at graduation award exercises (a separate assembly from the grad exercise itself) with the announcement, given by a naval lieutenant, of his acceptance into the Naval academy. The audience didn't stir, but I couldn't help from standing. The folks around me started and the wave of standees flowed across the auditorium. I then realized that I had not stood for a kid that enlisted in the Marines, who didn't get the nice speech. I'm still ashamed.

God Bless our warriors, and keep them safe.

Alex

Last edited by Alex; 05-25-2015 at 02:43 PM.