Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Default 5.7x28mm

I'm trying to get an idea of what this cartridge will do fired from a carbine like a contender or encore barrel. Is it close to a .22 hornet from a ballistics stand point and do you like it?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Some info. in following link for velocity out of 16 inch barrel for 28, 40, and 55 grain bullets.

http://www.57center.com/21.html
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Board Sponsor

When it first got popular I really thought "now why the heck would you want a .22 mag that is re-loadable", 10 years later and I've got egg on my face over that thought since I can feed my .32 S&W for less than the average cost of .22LR much less .22 Mag.

I'm still not in the promotion camp, mainly based on the availability of brass and the whole coating issue on it. There seem to be so many other better options for me. That being said, the more the merrier and if it tickles your fancy then by all means buy it. There is nothing wrong with it on the whole.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima88 View Post
I'm trying to get an idea of what this cartridge will do fired from a carbine like a contender or encore barrel. Is it close to a .22 hornet from a ballistics stand point and do you like it?
Out of my Dakota Predator single shot, the 40 grain blue tip ( SS197R ? ) chrono'd at 2155 fps. I was kinda surprised, as I thought it would be faster. It was accurate, however.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

There's several of us that have used these cases for the .17x28. Foxhunter had a M 38 Cooper rechambered for it, he named it: Velociraptor, or VR for short. Once I bought it. The brass I had went into the shaker same as anything else. Came out clean from the coating so many others claim causes problems. They feed and shoot just as well as any other brass casing.

Just ignor the bs spread around about that coating and clean it off in the shaker and you'll have fine brass.

Bob did an extensive load development and posted his results here a few years ago. Impressive velocities from just 10.0gr AA1680 3640fps is nothing to snivel at with a 20gr bullet and it's mighty accurate too.

Reed: it might be good if you'd look into this and learn a bit.

At first brass was hard to come by. I bought 250rnds of 5.7's from Midway 50/$19.00. Pulled the 40gr V'max and used them in the .223. Necked the cases down and reloaded them, some I even used the same 5.0gr of powder in my cast loads for the .38. Nothing was wasted except the few I crushed at first until I got to using Imperial Wax. That cured those problems. Before it was shut down, I obtained about 4000 more cases from others around the country from the old: ammobrasstrader board.

What surprised me most about them was finding only FIVE gr of almost dust like powder in the 5.7's, the boxes claimed about 2000fps with the 40gr V'max bullets.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"