Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 AM

Default Early Cooper question

Hi, I was hoping someone that was into Cooper's in the early 90's maybe knows how to tell whether the barrel is a Shilen or Lilja? There are no markings that I can see. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM

Must be very early on. I got my first one in late '98, and thought that most were Wilson Match barrels at that time. Hope someone else will chime in also.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

early barrels were Shilen according to what I was told in 1995. I bought a dozen barrels from Dan all at one time and he said they were using Shilen at hat time.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member

Early Coopers used Shilen and early Dakotas used Lilja, I think. I had a Cooper 21 in 223 with one of the Shilen barrels, and I have a Dakota Predator #0057 that has a 3-groove which is probably a Lilja.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Default I have a 19-223 Cooper

I ordered it with a 26” barrel and in the back of my mind I thought it was a PAC-Nor.Anybody here that can substantiate that,just curious it does shoot well no matter.I have heard the very early Coopers had a few Shilen barrels as well.
Matt
Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
early barrels were Shilen according to what I was told in 1995. I bought a dozen barrels from Dan all at one time and he said they were using Shilen at hat time.
Were the barrels you bought stainless or blued?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Mine is a stainless .17 cal 3 groove from 1995. Does anybody know if Shilen even made 3 groove match barrels in the 90's?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Default Old Cooper Barrels

Q , I can't help with how to ID Cooper Barrels , and can't get at any to inspect at this time ( I'm only left-handed for a while ) . However , I think I did Post most of this Info. long ago . Anyway , in the Good Ole Days , Cooper had a great Customer Rep. by the name of Dan Pickett . Because of all the conflicting Info. on Cooper Barrels , I called Dan who was a great guy to talk to . He had an amazing memory too . Dan gave me the following Info. ( by memory ...not from Notes ) . I asked for Permission to Post and he gave it . The following applies (at least ) from about the mid 90s to mid 2007 : About 98% of Cooper Barrels were Wilson . The 19 Barrels came mostly from Montana Rifles , except for 300-400 that came from Shilen and Pacnor . All 17 Barrels were Wilson except for about 100 Barrels from Shilen when Wilson had "problems" . All 20s were Wilson . There were a few TRP1 Project Barrels for a short time from Citadel . Really ODD Twist Barrels came from Montana Rifles ( I'm not sure if that is the same as McGowen , but my old Notes have that name scribbled above Montana Rifles ) . Hope this helps some with older Coopers . I would appreciate any Info. on present day Cooper Customer Service from users .
Old 01-19-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Early Cooper question

That bit of information, more from the horse's mouth shows me anyway, that to get hung up on one brand of barrel being the best, night not hold water, when you see someone like Cooper, who do make very accurate rifles, use and/or have used several barrel makers, on their product.
I guess we all have preferences and will make what ever brand barrel we buy or like the one we will follow. So pick a leading name and go with it and enjoy one of several makers barrels. Bill K
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

I asked my buddy who builds rifles one time who makes the best barrel. And he said a barrel is a barrel is a barrel! He uses all of them. He seems to use more shilen than anything.