Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

Default Bullet Coatings

I was curious to see if any of you are using a Bullet Coating by the name of Rooster Jacket?
I just recently spoke to the owner of the company that produces this product and he assures me that its one of the best bullet coatings available on the market today. Originally it was designed to be used for lead bullets, however many shooters also use it on copper jacketed bullets to reduce barrel fouling.
According to the manufacturer "Rooster Jacket is one of the most versatile bullet lubricants in the world, this water-based liquid lube dries to a glossy clear, hard, tough, waterproof waxy film of high-tech lube which is tightly bonded to cast or swaged bullets. It contains no volatile solvents, but it does contain rust preventatives for steel, and corrosion inhibitors for brass and copper. The cured film has a melting point of 210º F."

After speaking with the owner of the company I believe this product is similar to what Todd Kindler calls his SPL bullet coating. Although the owner of the company says the Rooster Jacket product has a higher melting point than SPL and also dries to a much harder coating than SPL so that it wont rub off when dried.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on this and also see if anyone would be interested in trying some.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Are they related to or the same company that makes 'Rooster Red?" It has a decent reputation for use on cast lead bullets.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default Hbn & ws2

I've been using WS2 (Danzac) for several years, but am just in the process of trying HBN: Hexagonal Boron Nitride.

I'd definitely be interested in giving the product a try.....

George
Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

I have never heard of Rooster Red, I looked on the manufacturers website and couldn't find anything on it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Are they related to or the same company that makes 'Rooster Red?" It has a decent reputation for use on cast lead bullets.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Supporting Member

I knew that name rang a bell so I went Googling. Here's a couple links that are on Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/503...et-lube-hollow

http://www.midwayusa.com/content/leg...ing_points.htm

Here's their home page.

http://www.roosterlabs.com/index.html

I know nothing about this stuff but I was sure I'd heard of it (odd name for a product). Nice to know a little memory remains .

Last edited by montdoug; 12-27-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Spl

I currently use Todd Kindler's SPL wax coating. It is very simple to apply and appers to work quite well on the sub calibers. I have not used it on the larger bores because I normally don't have copper fouling with large bores.

The wax does not appear to have a strong resistance to being wiped off so I don't carry loaded ammo in my jacket pocket while huning - rather I carry the ammo in a "egg-crate" type ammo box where the bullets do not touch anyting.

I think it is worth while and may be the reason that Todd Kindler's loads seem so hot. One can use more powder with this product, that may be too hot for bullets not SPL waxed.

John
Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I would be interested in trying the Rooster Jacket, and the polishing liquid.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office