Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-23-2017, 02:44 PM

Default .17 Jet (superjet) anyone know about this cartridge?

so with PTG practically giving away reamers I swooped up a .17 superjet reamer and was curious if anyone knows much about this cartridge? is it the same as a .17 Jet (seen a photo of the .17 jet) I asked PTG to send the reamer print but we'll see if I actually get it or not. (i've asked for a few in the past with no response)

anyways what i'm wondering about is shoulder angles, body diamter. I plan to use this reamer with .223 brass and just chamber accordingly. the parent case 22 rem jet shows the base diameter close enough. I may even short chamber it depending on dimensions to a tcm case length or even 1.125" like my .223 short.

next step is to wait till tomorrow and capitalize on green mountains 30% off sale from 8am-12pm. going to get the 1:9 twist 21" gunsmith special.

any idea on dies? I'm thinking depending on shoulder angle/ body diameter I could get away with 17 fireball/mk4 dies shortened. but I have no clue what the shoulder/body of this cartridge is.

thanks in advance. and Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-23-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:02 PM

I have a ruger #3 chambered by Dick Saunders for the 17/32 Jet. he developed the cartridges with several different body lengths and shoulder angles. I remember talking with him before he did my gun and I had several choices. mine is based on the full length 22 jet with a 32 degree shoulder angle he didn't believe it was worth going all the way to 40 degrees. I wish I could help you more but I'm in the process of having a house built and everything of mine is in long term storage while we rent this little place.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:07 PM

I had a 17 Jet from bullberry. It was the 32° version I believe. It was a cool cartridge. Formed brass from 357max brass because the chamber had a long neck compared to what you could get from mag brass. It was super quick. Brass is super stout because of having the big rim.

Aaron
Old 11-23-2017, 04:13 PM

SS
The Jet was on the 357 Magnum and the Super was on the 357 Maximum
You are right about the dimensions working also with the 223 case, just as a rimless version.
Having gone down the path of shorting the chambering with a longer reamer and shortening longer die sets, I would recommend not heading down that path, unless you are willing to put up with the headaches of doing such....Nothing works out well in case building or Chambering...and you end up with fired cases that are "just not quite right".

All that said the Super Jet is a great cartridge and if you kept the chambering and went to a 223 based cartridge, it would be hard to beat....If you want a 17 TCM, there are guys here that have done that and would probably let you access to their reamers and you would have a great little cartridge in that, too.

Just my thoughts on this....

Best to you....

Bill
Old 11-23-2017, 07:29 PM

Earlier in the year, Midway had a sale on a die set for the 22 super jet. So I bought one figuring I would eventually purchase the reamer.

A bit later, Midway offered a form die for the 17 Super Jet; so being easy, I bought that too, with the same figuring.

Also thought I would make my own die sets from the chambering reamer, not ideal, but fairly economical.

Primary use for the 22 version was for a K22 conversion, the 17 would be put in a No.1 or a Cadet.

I looked at the PTG site, and saw the 17 version reamer but the note said it was refrubished. Being a wildcat, probably does not matter; especially at the price offered.

The 22 jet was Remington's offering in the S&W 53, 357 mag based. Always thought that the super jet, Cotterman, etc were on the 357 mag case but perhaps varying shoulders from 30-40 degrees, not kept up like I shoulda. I have heard of a 22 version on the 357 max case by a writer for a large magazine, he said it was kinda like a 22/250 wannabee.

Wildcats have their place, usually a bit of work, but the fun part is there in spades for me.

Easy just ordered a 17 superjet and 22 mink reamer, so guess we are underway with somethin...........

Last edited by rick w.; 11-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post

Easy just ordered a 17 superjet and 22 mink reamer, so guess we are underway with somethin...........
I seen that there refurbished as well but I figured they wouldn't sell a out of spec reamer no matter the cost. I bought my 17 superjet this morning as well. for $32 shipped for a premium piloted reamer I can't go wrong. I had to contain myself to not want to buy a half dozen different reamers. lol
Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM

It's laughable at best thinking PTG wouldn't sell an out of spec reamer. May have been that way long ago but definitely not the case anymore.

Aaron
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 PM

S.S.,

Yeah, I hear you. Had to really resist the rest of the offerings, but my slush fund only stands so much this time of year.

Always had good luck with PTG over the years. Something to look forward to.

Rick W.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM

I just received my reamer print this morning and for those who may be curious as I was a PTG .17 superjet is based on the standard 22 jet/357 mag case length. 1.298" (assume the .008" is to allow for stretched brass)

now I have a new question. this reamer has a freebore of .039" now I hear the 17's and 20's benefit from a 0 freebore as it gives you time to chase the lands as the throat erodes.

so my question is would you guys feel it's too risky to say bust out the dremel and carefully grind each flute right at the neck throat junction for just those .040" maybe even slightly under cutting it (the lead forward of this spot would cut in) being that this will likely be a 6 flute reamer I could easily measure and take it slow using my micrometer (not a caliper) to measure my progress. I would then carefully stone that spot to prevent any burrs for causing issues.

or is .039" not enough to bother with?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
It's laughable at best thinking PTG wouldn't sell an out of spec reamer. May have been that way long ago but definitely not the case anymore.

Aaron
Yeah, no kidding.

Tony