Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Supporting Member

Talking Got a new Airedale pup. He's small caliber now but he'll end up about a medium bore.

Off Topic totally but most guys that like hunting either like dogs or oughtta! (just kidding, it's a personal choice of course).
I'm a died in the wool Terrier guy, I love all breeds but the Terriers have my heart and especially Airedales although we got 2 Cairn Terriers now as well as the new pup. 8 weeks old and arrived last Friday from a breeder in Delaware.
Definitely a small bore now.

Never seen snow before but sure digs it.

Him and Gus who has his Winter coat on.

I have about a 150 foot circle in the back yard plowed so the Cairns don't high center, I think he's curious if this is all the grass they have in Montana?

If ya never been around an Airedale Terrier they are a heck of a dog. Back at the beginning of last century they were considered the most popular dog in the county.
John Wayne got this nick-name Duke from an Airedale he had as a kid, (no stuff!). Mr. Google got me this which I already knew from past Airedales.

Wayne was born Marion Robert Morrison (on May 26, 1907) and earned the lifelong nickname Duke, after Big Duke, the family dog. Big Duke, an Airedale, would chase fire engines, and the firemen christened Wayne Little Duke, which was shortened to Duke.

I love Airedales and really dug John Wayne so this little fella got named after Mr. Wayne, I named him Duke.
See if ya recognize this guy and his Airedale.

Our little Duke is a fluffy little critter now but they are heck for stout later. I'll post a pic of Duke's Sire and Dam next. Might sound strange but as a friend and I surmised, a new dog is maybe more exciting then a new rifle, at least to us.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

Not to bore ya to tears but here's a couple a pics of Dukes's Momma and Daddy. I took the heads off the one picture of his Dam's owner and handler for privacy's sake.

His Sire.

His Dam.

Everyone like what they like but my Granddad loved Airedales so I heard a lot about em as a kid. Got this guy not long after I got out of the Crotch in 69, best back packing pal a guy ever had! Not easy to find Airedales any more up here so Duke has higher line breeding but he's getting his nuggets nipped anyway so who cares?
My friend Chuck up about 25 miles back into the Cloud Peak Wilderness in Wyoming.

Enough oughtta me, I got a bad case of new puppy-itis!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Got a new Airdale pup. He's small caliber now, but he'll end up

They are a fine breed. Like the old photo of Duke with is Duke. A friend, now dead, had two Airdales and they were fine dogs. Had them in Alaska, to ward off bears and then down into the states to ward off two legged varmints that showed occasionally around the cabin. Bill K
Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Neat, neat post Mr. Doug. Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

This last July 5th, we brought home a new member ourselves. She was an 8 week old Corgi to go along with our aging Jack R. Terrier and a 14 month old Australian Shepherd. The Jack is old and cranky (Bless her) but the two young ones are something to see when they get going. That's most of the time, by the way.

Love me a new rifle. However, there's nothing to compare to a dog that gives you nothing but love and appreciation no matter what your day was like. By and large, dogs are better people than humans are.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Supporting Member

Doug,
Your story reminds me of my Dad. He could tell stories forever about his childhood pall. A bulldog mix. There never was a better squirrel dog, hog dog or companion than Rover. His sisters used to tease him that heard him tell Rover "you have pretty brown eyes just like me". Brings back memories!
Rider
Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Doug, congratulations. Looks like you and Nancy have a great new companion.
Love the stories about The Duke. Couldn't have picked a better name.
Get him a sweater, looks like he may need it till he grows the right coat for Montana winters.
Can tell you're a happy camper😀
Best
Larry
Old 11-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Airedales

I have had an Airedale for the last 15 years. Could imagine life without one now. Mine are coyote decoy dogs and love to work. Lost my first Airedale about 3 years ago. Best dog a man could have. Saved my bacon on a lion ordeal. Hated coyotes with a passion.

I also run Jagdt. and Airedale/Jagdt crosses. Feel the same way, terriers all the way.

Enjoy the new pup.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 PM

Never to many dog pictures for me.

I would post some of my pup, but photos throw me a fit any more.

That is a find looking pup for sure. I like my dogs on the hairy side also.

I have had dogs since I was about 5-6 and have not been without one since. My dad always said your only allowed one good dog in a life time. Well I must be blessed as I have had several. My only dog now is a German wire haired pointer. I am pretty sold on them. Heelers are another one I favor, red or blue.

Had a lot of English pointers when I was younger and long legged. All of them were hard of hearing,lol. Killed a lot of quail with the help of them though. Hunted three of them for a long time, they all had the same name and responded to it, U SOB.
Jeff
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Supporting Member

GF dragged me up to Stanley Park in Vancouver BC one Sunday. Meadow had a meet of the Airedale Club. Hundreds of dogs and not a bark or growl.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Looks like you've got a curious one, very cute look in that picture.
Was wondering about Gus. Glad you've still got him.

Correction though: Confirm it, as I might be wrong but it sure seems to me
that Wayne's name was: Marion Michael Morrison. In high school i had a g/f with 3m's, we teased about it some. And M&M, Re: Marilyn. Us old guys remember that one.

Thanks for sharing Doug, always enjoy your varmint hunting dog pictures. Gus will train him right.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"