Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Supporting Member

Now there's a gun I hadn't heard about for a really long time Rick, the old "Fanner 50" .
You've heard of "Comfort Food"? Nancy comes in on me watching old John Wayne movies or Westerns in general and she says Yup, watching "comfort movies" again . More truth to that than ya know . Nuthin like curling up with a couple a three a "Man's best friends" and watching "Big Jake", "The Cowboys" or maybe "The Wild Bunch" for the 11th or 12th time. Heck, I've even watched El Dorado and Rio Bravo a bunch a times each and they are basically the same show only with a different drunken sheriff and a different young hot rod side-kick. But they are still John Wayne movies. "Comfort Movies"!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

cid:CCA64711E3384847AC376E15B819753E@burgersp695d1 0

A man and his dog were walking along a road.
The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years.
He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high,white stone wall along one side of the road.

It looked like fine marble..

At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
cid:674BBCE094EA40519D81F1DE5911B8A7@burgersp695d1 0

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

The man gestured, and the gate began to open. 'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveller asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed.

There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book....

cid:F5516F8AEFB048528B21F8E8077382FE@burgersp695d1 0

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveller gestured to the dog.

'There should be a bowl by the pump,' said the man.

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it..

The traveller filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveller asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveller said.

'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friend behind.
cid:97CBAD01628D42B594ADE103E8346AC7@burgersp695d1 0

You are welcome at my water bowl, anytime !!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Thanks Doug, sometimes my memory isn't up to snuff like it used to be.
Sure felt like i was correct though.
Bill: just because google says so, don't mean they can't be wrong either.

BCB: don't recall watching that film, sounds like I need to get a copy of it. I've hunted that country a lot over the years. Might recognize a few places.
Cousin Bill was state trooper there 26 yrs, think he landed in the valley after that. Seems like he was still down east at Burlington in '73. He's been good buddies with Judd Cooney for years over there.

Don't seem like life is real without a dog. Went 9yrs without one til a gal I met introduced me to a fellow she was taking care of that had Midnight, a 7y/o Schipperke. Art and I got to be real good friends in the 4 months I knew him. Had bad infections from diabetes. Seemed like every other week I'd take him to the hospital to have the shunt into his heart moved as it had gotten infected. The last time when I went to visit he said: "George, I think i'm going to die this time, I only have one worry" "what's that Art?" "who's going to take care of Midnight, she seems to love you and runs out everytime you drive up, when I'm in here you take her home with you--". "Art, your worries are over, I'd love to have Midnight". He died the next morning.
Wonderful dog, now coming onto 13y.o. She sure don't like guns though, whenever I get one out she's in a tizzy til I put it away. Can't spoil 'em any more than she is.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-28-2017, 03:39 AM
Supporting Member

Its a small world, George.......

I was in the Pagosa area in the 1970-72 time frame and I knew Judd. He was a great guy as well as being a pretty fair basket ball player back then. He got a lot of outdoor sports equipment to test from various sources up to and including things like snowmobiles. In addition, he was just beginning to have success with his outdoor writing career at the time.

He was the local Possum Sheriff at the time.... (Colorado Game Warden to those from up north.......).

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Wow!

So enjoyed the "Trip down memory lane" with you guys!

Dogs are Soul Mates...they are proven genetic attachments through Man's development and the two species have become co-dependent.

You can tell a lot about a person from reflection upon of their dog!

I can't tell Sh#t about anything, by studying a cat!

I, too, love Wayne Movies-Like BK, my favorite is "The Quiet Man!".

Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch!" is a favorite, too! (got popcorn ready, Doug!) Sam almost got Black Balled from movie-making because of the blood in that movie-tho it is tame, by today's standard... then, it was ahead of its time, in western violence! Loved it! I studied every gun's history in that movie to make sure, it could have existed at that time-period...I think they are all time-correct. The only problem with that movie could only be, there was no dog! But, it had the best bad-guy stinker-character actor ever: Strother Martin! Have Loved to hate that guy in every movie he made: "What we have here, is a failure to communicate!" (Cool Hand Luke) was the most defining/recognizable quote of his career!

But, THE BEST Dog Movie (and this is probably because of my age at the time) is "Old Yeller!" Everyone of those actors in that movie were iconic for me at that time in my life....Watched it a few weeks ago, and could not hold back, again, the tears when Yeller had to be put down.

Thanks Doug, and all you other Saubier-ites for sharing....

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 11-28-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 AM

Nice looking pup Doug!

I've got a French Brittany that turns 2 this month.

Ackley is his name.

If only we had better bird hunting around here. He's a pretty good pheasant dog
Old 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM

No small caliber, but high velocity. This shelter pup adopted me. Vizsla and Terrier mix. HONDO'S pushing two and hasn't slowed down yet!

N

In a rare moment of rest.............

Last edited by Herb in Pa; 12-04-2017 at 02:49 PM.