Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 PM

Default Cooper Model 38: not common?

I am always looking out on Gunbroker and Armslist (only locally on the Den of Thieves) for Cooper Model 38s but I almost never find them. Couple that with that I'm generally looking for LH models, compounding the difficulty of the search. I see lots of 21s. I have one 38, a LH Montana Varminter .22 Hornet, and I am darn glad that I got it when I saw it.

Were not many 38s produced as compared to 21s, or are people just not selling any of their 38s?

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:01 AM

M38s were made in far fewer calibers than the M21.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hmm, I have two

Not for sale though VT and VR

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-23-2017, 12:39 PM

I think most of them are either held in captivity by us Saubier-ites or listed for sale by those looking to get twice the original price out of them (or so it seems). If you scroll back through the classifieds, they do pop up for sale every now and then, and often are sold almost immediately.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 PM

The 38s you don't see often, are the ones like George's that are not produced anymore. The limits on cartridge length in the model 38s caused some issues of cartridge extraction on cases longer than Hornet based cartridges. To put those longer cartridges into the M21 action offerings, eliminated this issue.

I still see 38s in Hornet offerings and smaller, but like all Coopers, they are high $s.

M38s in Fireball-based cartridges are rare (since not made anymore) and when they get in the hands of savvy folks that know this, they seldom leave those gun safes.

There are no issues with any of the cartridges that have been discontinued in the M38s from pressure or safety, it was only a logistics decision of where to place certain cartridges in action offerings, to insure customer satisfaction....There are many that would trade the problems of extraction for getting a M38 in a Fireball-based case. I, like many, do not see this as a "Problem" and would live with the requirements to extract a loaded round from the action, if I could have it in the Fireball case.

Anyway, the M38 is a great little rifle, and if one comes in your sights that is reasonable $s, it is a good investment and great performer in any chambering!

Bill
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

This is as I remember how things used to be for Cooper Model numbers.
The Model 38s are produced for Hornet based cartridge/bolt face configuration, although there was a short run of Model 38s in .221 Fireball/20VarTarg (and maybe 17 Fireball) for awhile, which were then shifted back to Model 21 because of some of the manufacturing/safety challenges and cost increases the smaller action created when chambered for .221 based cartridges.
The Model 21 is produced for cartridges with a .223 bolt face configuration.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

Danny, L/H model 38 Coopers are few and far between.
I first heard of Coopers back in 2003 and bought my first L/H one in 2004, a model 22.
I searched for years for a used model 38 and finally got one in 2012 (I think) this was the first used L/H model 38 I'd seen for sale and I'd been searching this site and Gunbroker.

Along the way I'd bought a few Model 21's and also a 57M all left hand versions.

So keep looking one will pop up, maybe not in the caliber you want but grab it if one does as the chances of getting a L/H model 38 in the caliber you are looking for might be pretty slim.

While looking I did see a few new L/H model 38's usually at a price I didn't want to pay................Kiwi
Old 11-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Danny, L/H model 38 Coopers are few and far between.
I first heard of Coopers back in 2003 and bought my first L/H one in 2004, a model 22.
I searched for years for a used model 38 and finally got one in 2012 (I think) this was the first used L/H model 38 I'd seen for sale and I'd been searching this site and Gunbroker.

Along the way I'd bought a few Model 21's and also a 57M all left hand versions.

So keep looking one will pop up, maybe not in the caliber you want but grab it if one does as the chances of getting a L/H model 38 in the caliber you are looking for might be pretty slim.

While looking I did see a few new L/H model 38's usually at a price I didn't want to pay................Kiwi

http://picpaste.com/0a037b80feacb436...93087b4444.jpg
http://picpaste.com/cbe01809ec111431...25c465c5b4.jpg
http://picpaste.com/pix880219953-78OvU3Kf.jpg

I am really glad I got mine, but I am now sad that I did not buy the Hornet numbered just above it.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Last edited by Danny; 11-23-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Mostly the problem I've had with this VR M-38 hasn't been with the extraction.
It's been ejection.
Pulls 'em out of the chamber just fine, then drops them in the valley
rather than flipping them out.
With the very small area of open action it's hard for my fat fingers
to reach in and pick up the case. I sure wish it would hold them up
where they could be gotten hold of.

These tiny cases that take so much effort to form don't need to be
flipped out 10 feet in the grass. But, they do need to be easier to
get out of the gun once fired.
I even had Weaver work on it for hours to the tune of another $100.
Didn't help much.
I think foxhunter had the same problems is why he had it shortened and
chambered to this VR case from the CCM or whatever it was.

I haven't shot it enough yet to either learn how, or to get disgusted
enough to send it on down the road.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

http://picpaste.com/0a037b80feacb436...93087b4444.jpg
http://picpaste.com/cbe01809ec111431...25c465c5b4.jpg
http://picpaste.com/pix880219953-78OvU3Kf.jpg

I am really glad I got mine, but I am now sad that I did not buy the Hornet numbered just above it.
Danny, I wanted a 17AH but would have settled for a 38 chambered for any Hornet case.................but the one I bought was the only used model 38 I had seen in years of looking. It is chambered in 17Hebee which I've found to be a really nice chambering, it goes with the 17AB Contender I've also got.........Kiwi