Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Is the Model 7 receiver as good as the 700?

I'm looking to buy a STAINLESS receiver for my 6XC project. I want to build a heavy and sturdy PD/Benchrest rifle to weigh in at about 15 lbs. Desiring it in STAINLESS limits my options to what's available out there.

Could you guys explain the essential differences or Pro's vs Cons when comparing the Model 7 to a 700 receiver?

I'm also desiring to build the rifle into a single shot, and buy a laminated stock without the magazine well.......if that makes any difference in the equation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default 700 vs 7

The differences in rigidity with the shorter mdl7 as it applys to accuracy are none. Main issue will be availability of aftermarket parts, ie stocks, scope bases, bottom metal etc. Lots to pick from with the 700, pickings pretty slim for the mdl 7. If you gotta have stainless and want a Rem 700 action footprint I would go with a Predator or Lawton. By the time you buy a stainless action and blueprint it and installed a singleshot follower you've reached the price of the others, plus resale will be higher.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 PM

+1

Ditto what Chuck said regarding aftermarket options, mainly the stocks that are available. The slight differences in action rigidity (M7 vs 700) will not be noticeably although they are present. If your intended rifle is built properly and bedded correctly, then it will shoot. Providing money is no option and you can afford a single shot custom action - go for it.

If you're on a shoe-string budget, take a look at a Savage single shot rifle to build on. They may not be pleasing to the eye, but Savage rifles flat out shoot. I do not own or shoot a Savage but the proof is in the pudding. Check the factory class results for guys shooting at 300, 600 , and distances beyond.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 PM

Question I Agree With Chuck & Blake On The 700, But ?

If you are going to spend that much money on a custom action, why not go first class with just a few $ more and get a Stoole Panda ?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 AM

I guess then there is no reason to go after the model 7 action when the good ole standard Short Action 700 will do. I suppose a model 7 has the advantage for light carry rifles. And that's not what I'm looking to build anyway in a 15 lb varmint rig.

I want stainless, so the XR-100 is out. I can buy a stainless Remington rifle, (even a $900 VSSF), strip it down to sell the parts on ebay, and be left with a nice $500 stainless receiver. There is no price comparison when comparing the price of a new Remington SS receiver for about $500 to a Bat, Farley, Panda, or etc. We must obviously have different priorities about how we should spend our money. To me, a stripped Remington SS receiver at $500 plus dollars is a steep enough investment to build on top of. The prices of these custom actions are just obscene.....at least to me. To each his own I suppose.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:03 AM

Obscene ??

What is that say about getting what you pay for !! ??

I have messed about with various factory rifles and a few factory based custom rifles for some years and finally got sick of "making do".

I enjoy my shooting and decided that I needed to graduate to a true precision built custom after 25 years of active shooting since age 15. I sold off a few other rifles that I didn't really need and put that money into a soon to arrive Kelbly built Panda actioned BR rifle.

Most people have a collection of rifles far bigger than mine but I'd rather have a small number of rifles that I really want rather than have the same money or more tied up in a whole bunch that I don't really need.

If a first class custom action is twice the price it is probably for good reason, I'll let you know in a few weeks !!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Supporting Member

Default Action

You might consider a Wasatch action. It's not stainless, but for 750.00 in the white you get excellent value.
Drew

Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 AM

BJS17,

No offense intended.

I'm the kind of guy who scoffs at many name brand $200 scopes, while I shell out say maybe $500-$600 for a Bushnell 4200 SF Elite scope. But, I also won't go $800- $1,100 on a Leupold, Swarvoski, or Nightforce scope, and clamp it down to a rifle. At that price no scope should ever risk having a ring scratch its tube, or be subject to rain. At the same token, why would you spend over $1, 000 and more on an action, and then have it shot? (yea, pun intended)

Anyway, I'm just making light of the fact that we all have differen't attitudes about what our hobby is worth to us, and how we set our limits. No you're not crazy or silly for doing it, and I was not implying as such.

I'll bet you're going to get a lot of satisfaction out of that new toy. Congratulations on it.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM

No offence taken and certainly none intended.

I just can't see what the point is in having 3 x $400 scopes on 3 x $800 rifles when you could have one $1200 scope on one $2400 rifle (in a calibre that suits your needs best) and have something REALLY worth having !!

Each to their own I guess .............

Good luck with this project/toy also.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Once it is all said and done

a custom action is the way to go. I have 5 Remington 700s in arms reach that have been completly worked over. Alot of 700 clones can be had in $700 to $850 range. My next one will be a custom. Nothing wrong with a 700, I love mine. At the end of the day you have a better product. Pour money into a 700 and you still only have a 700.

To answer the question, I think you would be better off with a 700 short action in Stainless, over the modle 7.