Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
start every reloading session with a big ole doobie and a 12 pack a brewski's .
Pretty sure I read this in the front of the reloading manual!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Supporting Member

That quote right there just "might" be totally out of context .
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Back to bullet pullers that I skipped over.
Only hammer type I've ever broken was busted by another guy by hitting sideways with the
impact head, broke it right off. I've got at least three, maybe four of 'em here now.
Bought a set of three from Midway on one of their 3/1 sales, can't think of what was wrong but, something was and I called 'em about it. They sent another set of three. I've given at least two away.

I also have a very old ?? original makers here that Dave broke that night and replaced with a new one. Took forever to locate their mailing address and it came back. Taking up space in a parts box somewhere til I think of confirming the new address and mailing it in for LT replacement.

The only crimp type I tried crushed the bullets too much, that was long ago too. Still it's a mighty handy tool set to have on hand. Though I haven't needed one very often I have had to break down at least two large batch's with the hammer.
First big batch was .30.30's I loaded with old powder then looked at a much newer book & saw a max charge of that powder many grains less. In a panic I got Dave into pulling them when my arm played out. Seems like there was 200 rnds loaded we pulled.
Then when I got home I got out the OLD book and I was correct on the charge and the powder was from a matching date so I was fine and loaded them all back up with the same charge. PITA for sure but, didn't want to take a chance with what looked like much over charged ammo for lever guns. I don't regret it a bit. Better to be safe first.

THe last time taught me the limitations of the hammer pullers. Several hundred VR rnds with 20gr V/m's. Now that's hell trying to knock those little things out that way. Took me weeks of many sessions as long as I could stand. Sure wish I'd had a crimper type for those. Lesson's learned at times suck.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 AM

Default Someone elses handloads

"Handloads are like underwear, be careful who you swap with. " Unkown
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Default reloads??

Bought a 6mmBR from a man a couple of years ago and it came with a bunch of loaded rounds and some new brass. The plastic boxes of loads looked good and were notated on the lids with components, etc. The man told me they were all the same and were the standard loads for that rifle. I had a moment where I thought I'd fire them then got rational and stripped them down (with wire strippers which work very well and cost about $2 a pair) and discovered three different powders had been used - so who knows what loads were where. I was glad I'd had that rational moment rather than a lazy moment.