Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Default .17 HMR reunion after 11 year hiatus

I bought a .17 HMR shortly after release in the year 2002. I was a year out of high school. I walked into the local BiMart and picked up a heavy barreled Marlin for around $220 and several boxes of ammo for 7.99 a box.

Went to the range after cleaning and scope mounting and literally shot many 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 3/8" range. Several of them, with a 3-9 leupold scope.

I bought my then girlfriend a stainless laminate version of the same rifle and it too shot 3/8 to 1/2" groups.......most of the time. No kidding, I still have some of the targets.

Shot a ton of ground squirrels since we had access to 2,000 acres of fields that were literally covered in them. For 3 years straight, I shot thousands and thousands of rounds.

For ground squirrels, I think the .17 HMR is hard to beat out to 150 yards for accuracy, killing power, and cost of ammunition.

Then in 2006 I down sized a bunch of my rifles and sold off the HMR.

I just recently acquired another .17 HMR after an 11 year HMR hiatus, too good of a deal to pass up.

It's a Volquartsen heavy bull 18.5" BARRELED Ruger 77/22 chambered in .17 HMR with laminated stock. I just tuned the trigger yesterday to 2.25lbs and shot it for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'm reminded why the .17 hmr is so popular. It's going to be a wonderful addition to my ruger 77 series collection.

The local rifle range was having some kind of black powder convention, so I was forced to shoot this at the Pistol range mostly just to function test, ensure the trigger felt nice while actually firing the rifle, and make sure it didn't shoot a 3" group.

I was limited to 25 yards, so not much of an accuracy test, but it's gonna be a shooter. First 5 shots out of the rifle into a tiny little bughole, then scope adjustment and 5 more. Good enough until I can make it to the rifle range to test at 100 and make final sight in.

Anyway, I literally bought this rifle for a song............I need to stay away from Gunbroker

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 09-04-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 PM

Good job boss! My first and only .17hmr was a ruger 77 and it shot lights out! Should never have sold it! Hang on to this one!

QUOTE=Screaminweasil;259272]I bought a .17 HMR shortly after release in the year 2002. I was a year out of high school. I walked into the local BiMart and picked up a heavy barreled Marlin for around $220 and several boxes of ammo for 7.99 a box.

Went to the range after cleaning and scope mounting and literally shot many 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 3/8" range. Several of them, with a 3-9 leupold scope.

I bought my then girlfriend a stainless laminate version of the same rifle and it too shot 3/8 to 1/2" groups.......most of the time. No kidding, I still have some of the targets.

Shot a ton of ground squirrels since we had access to 2,000 acres of fields that were literally covered in them. For 3 years straight, I shot thousands and thousands of rounds.

For ground squirrels, I think the .17 HMR is hard to beat out to 150 yards for accuracy, killing power, and cost of ammunition.

Then in 2006 I down sized a bunch of my rifles and sold off the HMR.

I just recently acquired another .17 HMR after an 11 year HMR hiatus, too good of a deal to pass up.

It's a Volquartsen heavy bull 18.5" BARRELED Ruger 77/22 chambered in .17 HMR with laminated stock. I just tuned the trigger yesterday to 2.25lbs and shot it for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'm reminded why the .17 hmr is so popular. It's going to be a wonderful addition to my ruger 77 series collection.

The local rifle range was having some kind of black powder convention, so I was forced to shoot this at the Pistol range mostly just to function test, ensure the trigger felt nice while actually firing the rifle, and make sure it didn't shoot a 3" group.

I was limited to 25 yards, so not much of an accuracy test, but it's gonna be a shooter. First 5 shots out of the rifle into a tiny little bughole, then scope adjustment and 5 more. Good enough until I can make it to the rifle range to test at 100 and make final sight in.

Anyway, I literally bought this rifle for a song............I need to stay away from Gunbroker

[/quote]
Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanks!

This one isn't going anywhere. I absolutely love the Ruger 77 rimfire line.
Now I just need a Ruger .17 WSM

Next on my list now that they started producing them again.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Nice looking rifle! I've got a 77/17 Hmr blue walnut love it shoots great !
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Nice looking rifle! I've got a 77/17 Hmr blue walnut love it shoots great !

Awesome, amazing little line of rifles aren't they. Ruger really got it right with these (despite what i've heard from critics).

Of course, just my opinion and experience thus far.

Glad yours is a shooter as well.

Sounds like your Ruger .17 HMR is the same configuration as my 22 mag. Sweet little sporters for sure.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Banned

Default Ruger

I know I've killed a ton of squirrel an crow with that rifle! And a few coyotes an bobcats
Old 09-06-2017, 12:53 AM

Talking

Screaminweasil

I bought my then girlfriend a stainless laminate version of the same rifle (quote)

I was just wondering if that's the lady that put the ring on your finger

kerry
Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Screaminweasil

I bought my then girlfriend a stainless laminate version of the same rifle (quote)

I was just wondering if that's the lady that put the ring on your finger

kerry

No it wasn't Kerry. After a 4 year relationship I thought she was going to be.....but she and God had other plans. I ended up with a much better life partner in the end. No doubts about that. I married my soulmate......everthing happens for a reason.