Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Default Mentoring : BLACK RIFLE

Thinking about a getting a black rifle. It will be primarily be used as a truck gun & calling coyotes. Can i buy a factory or does one need to be pieced together? Oh needs to be .233. What barrel length? What is wylde(sp) chambered?

So you mentors that have one any advise would be very helpful.

thanks

Kerry
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Black rifle advice.

I am sure I am not the most experienced person out there but here are a few of my thoughts on the subject. I bought my stripped lowers about 6 years ago and built 3 of them up for various uppers. They are easy to build and configure to suit your needs. One of things that I would say are a necessity is getting an upgraded trigger ( RRA's National Match). The upper can be ordered from a lot of good builders out there to fit your needs and price range. I right now have a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" barrel that is a little too long for hunting in my mind. I bought a slightly used Bushmaster Predator upper (20" barrel) that I sold to my brother that I kick myself for not keeping as I think it was the perfect barrel length for hunting. I also built a lower for my son to fit a Model 1 Sales 204R upper and it came with a very thick 20" barrel that I thought was too barrel heavy. The wylde chamber allows you to use a variety of .223 or 5.56 ammo. Hopefully others with more knowledge on this subject will chime in. Good luck and have fun with the new rifle. Dave
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.model1sales.com/

Adam
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default I'll be watching this thread.

I too have recently gotten very interested in trying to learn more about these so called black rifles. I may be able to help with Wylde chamber info. The best I have been able to figure out so far is that the Wylde chamber is a compromise between the so called 5.56 Nato chamber and the civilian version the .223 Remington chamber. The 5.56 Nato being a more generous chamber in all dimensions including a much longer throat.

If this is incorrect PLEASE let me know ASAP.

The reason for the compromise (I believe) the civilian chamber was considered by some to be unsafe in that it caused higher than normal pressures when 5.56 Nato ammo was fired in it and the 5.56 Nato chamber is considered to sloppy (large) for best accuracy with either round so the Wylde chamber came about to satisfy both requirements. Does it fulfill its mission? I dunno!

AB, that looks like a great parts store. I will be perusing it a lot later. Thanks for the post.

Larry
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default Blackies

There are a few "undercover" black gun owners on this board. I picked up a Bushmaster Carbine in .223 for my "truck gun" off this site's classified.

MoreFPS is a black gun addict!

BHB
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default Black rifles

I got into them about 5 years ago, before I knew it I had 4 complete rifles, a stash of receivers, parts(basically what you accumulate when you replace parts). I was buying RRA triggers, Badger Ordinance cocking levers, 1pc rails, pachmayer grips....etc, the list goes on. Similiar to owning a Savage, buy it, pull everything off of it except the action and rebuild it. They remind me of Ruger 10-22's, an afermarket black hole. Then I realized that I didn't want to take them out and play. It was hard to pass over neat custom's, Coopers, Sako's, Martini's and take a rifle that was going to sling brass, hassle with loading magazines, and never reached the accuracy level of a well built boltgun. I know, I know, everyone has a AR that shoots in the 3's, except when I'm there watching(my friends will attest to that, I'm bad luck!) Brass cycled through a AR always looked like it had been kicked down a concrete road and without a clunky net or some kind of barrier between you and another shooter at the range people avoided you like the plague. For good reason, I avoid them when I go to the range, nothing like getting pegged with a hot case in the middle of a trigger squeeze. Do I like them? Sounds like I don't but I do, I like all firearms and I enjoy shooting them, they look neat, generally work as designed and you can customize to your wallets content..so....I sold all of mine and most of the stuff. Then Obama was on the horizon, before everyone went ape$hit I bought a pair of Armalite receivers with sequential serial numbers and stuffed them in the safe, that is the extent of my Black Rifle armory.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM

If you get into an aftermarket trigger (which you more than probably should on a stock rifle) dont overlook a jewel in the sea of new aftermarket triggers out there, they are really really nice.

sproinnnnng!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-10-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ditto on trade bait

I had a Stag Arms lower, Brownells collapsable stock, DPMS LPK with tube and buffer that I was trying to sell on ARFCOM, basically a bunch of lowend parts. Local guy called me up and asked if I would trade a couple of HS Rem 700 takeoff stocks and some new 223 Winnie brass for the lot. He comes over looks at the stuff in the box and askes me if I know how to put it together. Says he has a new Shilen barrel he'll give me if I put it together I tell him to go get his barrel Oh yea, I threw in a BSA Red Dot for free Saw him at the local range a couple weeks later, got him a couple bags of gunshow reloads a 30 round mag and he's banging away at a Bin Laden target with his custom AR15!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

I can tell you they are money pits. Took me 4 of them to find exactly what I wanted and have two now. I have a Les Baer Competition with a 1x12" twist, Les uses his own proprietary match chamber (much tighter than a Wylde). Draw back with it is its so tight that after 25rnds accuracy will begin to suffer until the chamber gets swabbed because of the blowback. Good news is the rifle is as accurate at 200yds as my custom rifles are.

My other is a Rock River lower with a Predator upper, has a Wylde chamber and is gas piston operated (my coyote rifle), 1x9" twist. Accuracy is about 3/4" groups with 3rnds at 100yds where the Les Baer will print 10rnds into the size of a dime at that distance.
Both my AR's have Jewel triggers in them.

Building your own, Rock River Arms has a great reputation for lowers and you can now buy various uppers on gunbroker with Lilja or Shilen barrels ready to install to your lower.

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.