Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Someone else's reloads

Just picked up a cz 527 17 rem. from a member on a different sight, talked to the man about the gun before i bought, don't know him at all. I got 61 loaded rounds in the deal, he sent a pm with his load to me it was vv n540 24.5gr; 27gr golds with cci primer, NOW the question how do you guys feel about shooting someone else's reloads?? ok? maybe? absolutely not?

all replies appreciated
thanks
kerry
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Supporting Member

He's still alive so you will be too. Adam
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Every year around hunting season I get at least 2 rifles that folks have a stuck cartridge in. With out exception they have tried reloads from someone else. Last year a friend of my sons came over with a new Remington 22-250 with the bolt locked up he tried his buddies reload, I got it out and gave him the rifle, gave him a little speech about shooting others reloads and sent him on his way. When I seen my son the next time he told me that his buddy said I "gave him an ass chewing" maybe I did, I just don't believe in temping fate. Don't shoot someone else's reloads pull them, run them through a full length sizing die and load them back up. At least thats my opinion, for what its worth.

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Pull the bullet dump the powder Save the bullet and primer for zeroing and working to max. I have saw blanked primers and bolts beat open as well as flying ejectors. This was from guys loading for their own rifles. Trust is earned, until you sit at someones reloading bench you dont know how he operates.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default simple

Tear them down, I've sent load data with loaded rounds but always suggested they might want to tear them down for the components. I would tear them down regardless of who reloaded them, it's your face.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

Let Adam shoot em for ya to test em .
Sorry Adam .
I'm with the tear em down and start over crowd. Sounds like a reasonable load but if ya don't know the guy, who's to say he don't start every reloading session with a big ole doobie and a 12 pack a brewski's .
Like Bob I've seen an amazing number of crazy reloading blunders over the years that one fool has done and another fool has paid the price for.
I don't shoot anyone's reload unless I know em personally, "REAL" well.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
who's to say he don't start every reloading session with a big ole doobie and a 12 pack a brewski's .
Wait, so you're telling me that's NOT the way to go?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

He's shooting them in the rifle they were loaded for. I don't shoot other reloads in ohter guns but the ones they intended for and load data was supplied. If he has another 17Rem then don't shoot them, but if the reloads he has are for the rifle he bought then where is the danger. Adam
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM

I won't shoot stuff others have loaded and I won't load for anyone else. I know some real boneheads who who try to turn .223's into .220 Swifts. One of those geniuses was using Scotch Tape to hold primers in pockets that were as big as ashtrays.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM

What is the difference? He does not know the guy, who's to say he was meticulous in adhering to the stated load data? I bet there is a 99.9% chance that it is fine, probably even great. However, if I'm going to take ANY chance of messing myself up with a reload, it had better be from my OWN mistake. The only thing being lost is the value of the propellent. Primer, brass and bullet all get recycled. If it were me, I would only save the bullet, not knowing the history of the brass. If you think I'm being conservative, you should see how I vote in November! Although I disagree with you on this point Adam, please keep in mind that I have a great respect for your knowledge that you share here. There may not be a right or wrong on this, just depends what a guy is comfortable with.