Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I loaded for a buddy's sporter barreled Savage. 50 gr Sierra BK's with N133 were clocking 3400 fps and tiny groups. It thinks it's a bench gun. He made a one shot kill at 465 yds on a groundhog. I did all the work and dialed in the clicks. He just pulled the trigger...bang, flop.

if you are going to try 30 y.o. ammo, I'd run em thru a seater die first to break any bond there may be between the bullet and case neck. Ran into that problem once before and showed pressure spikes on previously safe ammo.

Last edited by csterner; 05-06-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 PM

I saw a difference between the Rem 7 1/2's I always had been using (mainly for 50 & 52 weight bullets), and the CCI 400's then when I went with the 40 V-MAX's which I think are a beautiful thing in extending the range of the 222. The 40 V-MAX is long, has a nice boat tail design, and have always anchored anything I've shot with them just great. I use 55BK's in my 22-250 because of its better BC than most anything in that class (except the new 53 V-MAX of course now), and because again - they smoke whatever they touch. My longest with the 222 though Charlie was probably a fox at 286 (and that was with a factory Hornady 50 V-MAX moly actually, which is what I had used always for years and years before getting into reloading).

My "light" 21.0 of IMR-4198 with a 40 V-MAX does 3,300, but a true 21.0 in my buddy's Rem 700 BDL chrono'd 3400fps. Don't ask me why his barrel was a little faster than mine - the difference in powder I'm talking about wouldn't have accounted for 100fps. But if you got a 50 moving at 3400 you were really putting some heat behind it!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
if you are going to try 30 y.o. ammo, I'd run em thru a seater die first to break any bond there may be between the bullet and case neck. Ran into that problem once before and showed pressure spikes on previously safe ammo.
Good point; I had not thought of that. I discovered the bullets in both the old loads are seated just deep enough to fit in the magazine, with little if any clearance. I'll take your advice.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Supporting Member

Looking to build a .222 to launch the 40gr. bullets at warp speed...

What powder do you recommend?????

Phil.