Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Default .17 vs. .22 Accuracy

Is there some consensus regarding the comparative accuracy potential of the .17 centerfire cartridges and their .22 caliber counterparts, all other things being equal (quality of actions, barrels, etc.)? To be more precise, have shooters noticed an accuracy difference between the .17 Remington and the .222 Remington Mag.? Or between the .17 Fireball and the .221 Fireball? In theory, we might expect the .17s to give up a little in accuracy from an expansion-ratio perspective, or being a little more “overbore” capacity (at least for the pairs of cartridges I've noted). But what does the empirical evidence show?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
Is there some consensus regarding the comparative accuracy potential of the .17 centerfire cartridges and their .22 caliber counterparts, all other things being equal (quality of actions, barrels, etc.)? To be more precise, have shooters noticed an accuracy difference between the .17 Remington and the .222 Remington Mag.? Or between the .17 Fireball and the .221 Fireball? In theory, we might expect the .17s to give up a little in accuracy from an expansion-ratio perspective, or being a little more “overbore” capacity (at least for the pairs of cartridges I've noted). But what does the empirical evidence show?
The empirical evidence shows the 6mm class cartridges are "more accurate" as a group via the number of benchrest records held by the 6 ppc. Before that, the same could be said for the triple deuce, 219 Wasp, etc. I'm not aware of any 17 cal cartridge that has held or broken any accuracy record.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 PM

My opinion, for what it's worth, if your including reloading for these two I would say accuracy would have to go heavily towards the 22 calibers. The reasoning for this is there are just so many more bullet options out there for a .224 that it's more likely that you'll find a bullet for your rifle that shoots better than a 17. That's just my opinion though, others may feel different.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Supporting Member

You're likely to find a bunch of opinions on this subject. For my two cents worth, I have very good luck getting good accuracy from any 22 centerfire for many decades. On the 17 cal cartridges I've had terrible results trying to make them shoot well. I don't think the barrels and bullets are nearly as good.
Most surprising to me is the 20 cal. Seems like most barrels like most bullets and the faster you push them the better they perform.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben lurkin View Post
The empirical evidence shows the 6mm class cartridges are "more accurate" as a group via the number of benchrest records held by the 6 ppc.
That's a good point. The evidence suggests that the 6 PPC has a (very) slight edge over the .22 PPC, which preceded it. And this would be predicted on an expansion-ratio basis. The PPC case size (and shape) seems to be optimally utilized with a 6 mm. bore. By the same logic, the .222 Rem. Mag. might be expected to be slightly more inherently accurate than the .17 Rem., and the .221 Fireball slightly more accurate than the .17 Fireball. I've just been curious as to whether this has been borne out empirically.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

Default Matches

If center fire matches were held in doors the 17 would hold its own. Outside the wind would kill it!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 PM

I suppose one example that would seem to go against the expansion-ratio logic would be the rimfire cartridges, the .22 WMR and .17 HMR. In that comparison, the .17 seems--from all accuracy field reports I've read--to beat its parent cartridge. And this has certainly been the case with my own WMRs and HMRs--all Anschutz rifles.

Of course, other factors may be at play in this case, like greater attention to detail in the manufacture of .17 HMR cartridges than seen with the .22 WMR.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 PM
Banned

Default Matches

If you get time go to you tube NIOA TV and watch the 17 HMR 22 mag shoot out!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 AM

For what little it is worth, as I have just stepped in to the sub calibers. Well,I may have stepped off the edge. Just swapped into another one this past weekend.

The only 17 I have toyed with is the 17HH in a CZ. I have found it to shoot very well. BUT, you have to pay attention. Change any of your form and groups will suffer, very much like a 22RF. To much or not enough into the butt of the gun and horizontal will show up. A bit to much grip pressure and vertical comes in.

As a note I did not chase speed, I went with accuracy and found it with H4198.
Jeff
Old 10-18-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
I shoot rockchucks for money. I don't get paid unless I produce a tail. (Actually I usually produce the whole critter if the client isn't squeamish).
I have 3 rifles that I use depending on the circumstances. A 17 Fireball, a 20 Vartarg and a 221 Fireball. As all of you know same case, different caliber in all 3. They all sport Pac Nor barrels and they are all 3 very accurate. Of the three, the 221 is the most accurate. However I use the 17 Fireball for 90% of my work exterminating the destructive little vermin because, as I said I don't get paid unless I produce a tail. I have had several crawl-offs with the 221 over the years but I have NEVER had a crawl-off with the 17 no matter where they are hit. In some cases velocity trumps accuracy in my experience.
Obviously this does not apply to my benchrest rifles. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but this has been my experience over the years. dedogs