Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Nice b.c.

Thanks for posting this Daryl.
Sierra has really upped their game,was shooting the 7mm 183 at 2000 yards this spring and found that the Sierra required 3moa less than the the 180 Berger Hybrid at that distance,they shootAlways thought that Sierras shot well but their b.c.s were never at the top of the group,looks like they are working hard to change that.
Matt
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM

What no one is saying these are a target bullet, they will be hard to hold their shape and most likely won't expand in game.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

I use some target bullets in 17 & 20 caliber for small game and they do what I want.

I won't chance target bullet on big GAME. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Before they were released for general public sale, a friend of mine shot a five shot 3" & a fraction group with these at the Williamsport shooting school. Was using an instructors 6.5-284. Four of the shots printed in roughly 1 & 1/2 ". I can't post photos but if someone can, I have a photo of him with the target.
I believe Sierra has really stepped up the game in target bullets.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Before they were released for general public sale, a friend of mine shot a five shot 3" & a fraction group with these at the Williamsport shooting school. Was using an instructors 6.5-284. Four of the shots printed in roughly 1 & 1/2 ". I can't post photos but if someone can, I have a photo of him with the target.
I believe Sierra has really stepped up the game in target bullets.
I assume this was 1000 yards?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM

With a good rifle, a good load and a good shooter that is definitely doable, very fine shooting for certain.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM

I had a friend years ago, who used 168gr. Matchkings on moose from his '06, early 70's. 4 years in a row, 4 moose with 1 shot each, perfect expansion, then the 5th year, had to shoot the bull moose 3 times, every one of those bullets were recovered. All had their noses closed and shanks bent. They appeared to truck off through the body in different directions. He found them all while cutting up the meat. He was lucky the first one went through the heart, which was close to 12" lower than the impact hole (1st shot) & lodged in the meat between the ribs. That bullet should not have hit the heart at all. Every shot after than was at a running moose, with no indication of a hit. He liked to shoot the moose through the lungs, high up, claiming faster kills and spine shots if a bit high. He noted the lungs had small holes, without any cavitation happening, figuring the bullets just skidded around stopping in the meat of the leg and ribs.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Default hunting bullets

I soaked a surplus of phone books in a water trough for 2 days and put a single BERGER 135 grain CLASSIC HUNTER 6.5 into them @ 100 yds. 2750 fps
The penetration was excellent being 10-1/2 inches.
The bullet retention was virtually zero...all I found was the jacket material.
6.5x47 Lapua calibre

I'm sure this bullet will zipp through any big game but isn't bullet rentention important ?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I'm sure this bullet will zipp through any big game but isn't bullet rentention important ?
My thoughts are, if it passes completely through the animal it has done it's job, ie 2 places to allow help if tracking is involved, plus a longer wound channel for more internal bleeding. For a lung shooter that seems perfect to me.

If you are a shoulder shooter, bullet retention, to me, seems the best performance one should look for.

I shot a little mule deer 20+ years ago using my 280 and 140 grain game kings. He was slowly walking and I poked him in the ribs, he slowly turned around and gave me the opposite side shot, no evidence I hit him at all from the bullet coming apart. I poked him again, and he fell. I suspect the second shot wasn't needed, he was probably bleeding out anyway.

I told the story to a friend, and the next day at work he called me to come to his office. He handed me a box of Nosler partitions, and said toss them damned sierra's and shoot these, we shoot a ton of elk with them, and never had a blow-up or lost a hit animal. They shot 7 rem mags as a group, and usually got up to 300 yard shooting.

Not sure if that helps, and I know many use Sierra's for deer with happy results.

Allen
Old 10-26-2017, 02:01 AM

seen a picture of these long pills. they measure out at 1.495-1.5" long! crazy!