Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 Pea shooter in a big bore rifle.

I need to build a conversion to shoot smaller caliber rounds in my big bore rifles. I was going to make one for my Match Sharps or my match CPA Stevens which has the long range vernier sights and scope mounts for one of my Unertl scopes but my back went out and I can't even pick the rifles up. I have several 71/84 Mausers and one had been cut down to a 20" barrel and I can lift that one and have modified a Lee Shaver 22lr conversion to work in it. I would prefer to have a small centerfire cartridge conversion for it and tried in vain to come close to Nozomies' 22 ladybug cartridge but I don't have the abilities or equipment to do that so I'm going to try using 22 CCM brass I ordered from Ron Reed who is a member and sponsor on this site. I located a reamer and possible die set so all I need is a barrel liner. Lee Shaver makes liner spacers to allow the liners to fit and work in 40 to 45 caliber barrels. The 22 CCM can be loaded a bit light so I can practice in the back yard and I have a scout scope mounted on the Mauser. The original Lee Shaver unit works really nice but it has an adapter to allow the 22lr cartridge to be centered in the bore and converts the action of the rifle's firing pin to and offset rimfire pin. The adapter is extracted when the bolt is opened and you have to remove the fired case then insert a new round into the adapter and slide the adapter back in like a regular cartridge. I hope the 22 CCM setup will just fire like a standard centerfire cartridge and I'll have to pop the spent case out and insert a new one -- no adapter needed. Wish I had a little 22 pop gun I could convert to 22 CCM and I may look into that also.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-23-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 PM

maybe I should shift around my projects and get to my bolt action AR upper built and market it to you. lol 22.5' bolt unlock would equal fast, can use any off the shelf AR barrel. the design is simple. the hardest part is making a fail safe to prevent a out of battery discharge. I have an idea but haven't gotten around to trying it.

yes it would be easier to make a straight pull but meh whats the fun in that. you should see how the ccm cartridges feed from your 5.7 mags.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Easiest 22 centerfire

Boomer several of us have been playing with this from several different directions in several different calibers for years. The 25 acp case has been probably the cheapest and easiest to play with for loads on the bottom end of energy and velocity. Case life after forming with average loads is excellent. Chamber adapters work, you do not get match gun accuracy. But most realistically wouldn't expect it from that type setup. A chamber adapter would work with many rounds. They are not as expensive to make as the conversion of a gun. You can figure out if you really want to do a full conversion after shooting what ever round you are playing with. A good Smith if he has the chamber reamer can chamber a section of barrel scrap and turn it to match a 223 case or whatever you are going to shoot the adapter in. It isn't fast but it works.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
maybe I should shift around my projects and get to my bolt action AR upper built and market it to you. lol 22.5' bolt unlock would equal fast, can use any off the shelf AR barrel. the design is simple. the hardest part is making a fail safe to prevent a out of battery discharge. I have an idea but haven't gotten around to trying it.

yes it would be easier to make a straight pull but meh whats the fun in that. you should see how the ccm cartridges feed from your 5.7 mags.
Are you actually working on a real bolt action AR? I bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 and realized how close it was to an AR except the lugs on the bolt and the bolt body has the standard cock on opening spring loaded firing pin. Figuring a way to have a rotating bolt operated by a bolt handle and still use the AR hammer system could make for a less expensive accurate rifle that would still take all the other parts that are available. I had though about doing one since some fired cases in an AR stick enough that a straight pull system will not break them free of the chamber. I've already tried that.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
Boomer several of us have been playing with this from several different directions in several different calibers for years. The 25 acp case has been probably the cheapest and easiest to play with for loads on the bottom end of energy and velocity. Case life after forming with average loads is excellent. Chamber adapters work, you do not get match gun accuracy. But most realistically wouldn't expect it from that type setup. A chamber adapter would work with many rounds. They are not as expensive to make as the conversion of a gun. You can figure out if you really want to do a full conversion after shooting what ever round you are playing with. A good Smith if he has the chamber reamer can chamber a section of barrel scrap and turn it to match a 223 case or whatever you are going to shoot the adapter in. It isn't fast but it works.
I like your idea about getting a smith to do a chamber adapter -- I've got to look in to that. The use of the 25acp case is probably the best choice as proven by Nozombies and his 22 Ladybug cartridge. My problem is I am getting to the point where I can't do those things anymore -- but I will keep on trying. I've already built one adapter/conversion for my 71/84 Mauser that shoots 22lr but I use the little Aguila colibri in it. I can't get to the range yet and really need a way to practice. I saw the 22 Ladybug cartridge and thought that would be perfect but I chickened out after messing with 5.7X28NF cases and bought 22 CCM cases from Ron Reed. A picture of my Mauser is below. It actually uses .446" diameter bullets.

I added a 7X scout scope in front of the receiver because my eyes don't do well anymore with iron sights.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
Are you actually working on a real bolt action AR? I bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 and realized how close it was to an AR except the lugs on the bolt and the bolt body has the standard cock on opening spring loaded firing pin. Figuring a way to have a rotating bolt operated by a bolt handle and still use the AR hammer system could make for a less expensive accurate rifle that would still take all the other parts that are available. I had though about doing one since some fired cases in an AR stick enough that a straight pull system will not break them free of the chamber. I've already tried that.
yes Its one of my projects. I have already made a mockup "carrier" to test the concept. The two flaws in my design are 1 using the receiver as the bolt limiter fine for me but to make a marketable product it could be conceived as ghetto and the more important part is finding a full proof firing pin safety so if the hammer hits it out of battery it will stop the travel. I considered a narrow channel as one fail safe so if the channel isn't properly aligned the hammer will stop and I've considered a secondary plunger type stop much like a glock firing pin plunger. I've got a design in mind but it hasn't made it from paper to a working part yet.

I have also seen someone drill and tap a long pin to the rear of the trigger that lines up with a hole in the carrier so if it isn't aligned the pin will hit the carrier and not allow the trigger be pulled. I want to shy away from this method as it requires removal of the disconnector and butchering of the trigger. and part of accuracy is a good trigger so I'm sure people wouldn't want to risk ruining a 2-$300 trigger.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 06-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:50 AM

a lot of the design and development work has already been done in Europe before world war 2. ALOT of it. Its not as bad as a person thinks.

if you have the ability to set back and ream a barrel, you have the ability to make yourself a new bolt.