Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default Exporting barrels and gun parts

Ok guys, here it is!

Go to: Chieftain.com (our local paper)
Today July 13th, article everyone here needs to read!

"Puebloan accused of exporting munitions"

Feds nailed this local guy. Article says: he was caught by
HLS shipping barrels, bolts, actions etc to Saudi arabia.
And they confiscated a bunch of stuff from his house besides
what they caught in transit.
Judge let him go on a promise to show up in court, no bail.
Rare:, that gives me a feeling it's not going to turn out too serious.

For all you guys that I've done about the same thing for.
I'm DONE.

Thanks

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Default shipping outside your country

George, it isnt worth risk.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Al:

Sure looks that way don't it?
Buddy in Md. had 2 HLS guys land on him
over mailing brass to his PH buddy in RSA a few yrs ago.

I've still been doing it until lately.

Not worth it if caught.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-14-2018, 08:38 PM

I believe it was during the last couple years of Obama's second term that the export controls 'rules' were changed. And you need to be careful about both ITAR and the State Dept. restrictions. Also NATO and the EU is also trying to make import/export of arms even (including ammunition) much tougher. Another good reason to dump NATO.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Actually the change came during the Bush administration.

In my former working life as a Customs Officer I specialized Arms import and Export laws.

The State Department is charged with administering the International Trade in Arms Regulation-ITAR. Customs is charged with enforcing the law for State.

There was an unwritten rule allowing personal exportations, but under the Bush Administration all exports were treated as commercial functions and the high fees came into place.

During my tenure the personal exemptions for export constantly changed, particularly in dealing with Canada. Canada constantly worked through the OAS asking the US to tighten up the regulations allowing arms into Canada. Most of the special Canadian exemptions are gone.

ATF did have a small part to play, in that they tightened regulations on Aliens legally in the US buying arms and ammo.

Barrels, Bolts and actions have always required an export license. In the past personal export was allowed by license, now it must be done through a registered exporter.

Last edited by Double D; 07-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Default exporting / importing

Regulations and laws have changed and keep changing between countries that exchange all merchandise and products
The little guy can't keep up so the best policy is to not do anything.
I've made personal requests in the past for private persons to ship examples of brass or bullets ...but wont anymore... dont want trouble for them or me.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 AM

DD:

What about rifle stocks?
Would re-sending one of those trip the trigger too?

Thanks

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-22-2018, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member

I've been involved in importing firearms and parts from the USA for a number of years. I imported my first rifle from the USA in 1999/2000.

How things have changed over that time, others in the USA know the laws better than I do, but this is some of what my exporter has told me.

Parts up to the value of US$100 can be exported without an export permit but certain parts, ie bolts, frames, receivers, barrels etc can not be exported without a permit no matter what the value.

Stocks up to the value of US$100 can be exported without an export permit, Boyds export stocks without export permits as long as the price is less than US$100 (with Canada the value is $500.00)

Rifle scopes do not require an export permit, the export permit will be refused if you put a rifle scope on it. Night vision scopes do require an export permit.

Reloading tools, ie dies, presses, scales etc can be exported with no export permit, these items are not restricted by ITAR.
Except if it is an automatic reloading machine, I believe the Dillon 1050 requires an export permit but lesser models don't.

There are certain countries that everything firearm related is prohibited to export to, I imagine some of those would be North Korea, China, middle eastern countries.

Some countries like Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and others it is Okay to export some items to without a permit, providing the recipient has the required paperwork to import it.

Since I live in NZ I do know I can import virtually all items except the part with the serial number on it or anything that is classed as "E" category or Handgun parts, these parts/firearms require an import permit.

E category are Military style semi automatic firearms, so AK47, SLR etc etc.

I have had people refuse to ship reloading dies and other reloading tools, no biggie this is their choice and shows that some just don't understand or want to understand the rules.

I recently received a magazine spring and floorplate, the seller phoned HLS and others and got the same answer so sent it to me.

I imagine if he wanted to send it to someone in North Korea he would have received a different answer.

Given the difficulty of getting some items out of the USA, there is a gap that some locals are filling in other countries by manufacturing items locally, this adds to the local economy as the funds don't end up overseas and hurts the US economy as they lose exports and the income these exports generate.

I understand that a lot of firearms components and other items are going to be removed from ITAR control which will mean the manufacturers and exporters will not need to pay the exorbitant registration fees they do at the moment and it will make it easier to export these items.

Kiwi
Old 07-22-2018, 05:08 AM

Kiwi:

Thank you sir.

I believe it's mostly the USA's/anti crap on exporting these things.

Some countries like NZ have very few restrictions.

OThers like the US are nuts about things. Hopefully Trump's crew
will get things back to within reason again.

Back until the early '70's we could order full guns, pistols, ammo
and just about anything desired by mail order direct to the house.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 PM

It is not worth the risk, in my opinion.