Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-17-2018, 12:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Got a new Airedale pup.......... Way "O.T" Update on the Dukester.

Remember this guy at 8 weeks?

Then again a bit later in the winter?

Spring is on us and he's got a baritone bark, sorta growl affect now about 55lbs a coiled spring's worth so far. He ain't huge but he's a bruiser no doubt and he's still growing!

Kinda like guns, cars and everything else, we all like what we like and I confess to being a Terrier guy through and through, although there are a lotta dog breeds I like a lot!
Gotta say Airedales take the cake in my book.

Had a few things keep us outta the normal issues this spring so dogs and the yard are our world for now, sure ain't all bad I guess.
Getting to load testing temps soon so hopefully.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:14 AM

Great to see Duke growing up and doing well, Doug. The family informed me that we were getting a Corgi last July. Freddie just had her first birthday. She replaced the last Jack Russell we had. I was not too excited, seemed like a silly breed to me. Gotta say, she is tough, smart and absolutely full of spit! We usually refer to her as Freddie Kruger. Really fun to watch her stare down 1K pounds of beef. If I ever get to Heaven, I hope to see all the K-9 family members we have shared our lives with. For now, it's all about building memories with the ones that are here. Doug and Duke, keep on enjoying each other!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member

That's a fine looking Airedale! We're on our third one now, a slick coat named Millie. I'd sure like to get another woolly male but we also have two Aussies and our farm has a carring capacity of three dogs.

Did you find him locally?

-Chris
Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Howdy Chris, my guy came outta Delaware. He's a top blood-line dog and that only matters to me because it means he was bred true to Airedale standards. This here is his daddy, he showed in the Airedale class at Westminster dog show last year, he didn't win but he did well and represents the breed well.

His Dam.

This ole boy a long time passed was as good a backpacking friend as a guy ever had! This picture was taken on a couple week circle of high mountain lakes up in "Cloud Peak Wilderness Area" in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming he and I took. He hauled his chow and I hauled and obtained my own.

On this trip the one and only Canadian Lynx I've ever seen in the wild Jumped out of a bunch a brush on one side of the trail and landed right in the middle of the trail about 25 yards from us on a real windy day. Not sure who was the most surprised him or us! He arched his back, snarled and jumped on the top of a stump on the far side of the trail where he arched his back and snarled again before taking off. Chuck (my Airedale) realized what it was about the time he landed in the middle of the trail, he let out a serious growl of his own and started after him. Fortunately he was trained well enough that when I yelled "OUT"!! he stopped and came back to me (reluctantly but he did it), I had no idea how big a Lynx was till that very moment, Chuck didn't care cause he wanted to fight!
One a those wilderness memories ya never forget.
The dog I have now needs his coat stripped down cause he's got way to much hair for summer now.
Nice to meet a fellow Airedale fan!!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Duke sure was cute when he was little.

He looks good as a more mature dog too.Boy his daddy and mother sure were something too Doug.That lynx sure would have startled me.Pretty scenery too.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 06-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 PM

My uncle (before he passed away) always had an Airedale with his coondogs. About five or six years ago, he bought TWO Airdales, I dunno why, as he was in his late '80s when he got them. My cousin has them now, but he doesn't coon hunt much.
For as long as I can remember, Gilbert had Airdales, and I spent a lot of time at their place, and those dogs. We'd take them squirrel hunting, too, they were always ready to get out and go huntin'. Fine, fine dogs, but a little headstrong at times. That's probably what gives them their charm.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 AM

Nice looking pup there Doug. Hope the training sessions with him and Nancy are working out nicely!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Hey Doug- it has been awhile. Nice looking pup! I don't understand the black on his face in the first photo and then he seemed to grow right through it so to speak but from that last picture he has a little mischief in him.

Curious, how do you think Chuck would have done against that lynx had he caught him?

Qaz
Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Supporting Member

Howdy Qaz, it has been a while. Glad to see this post although belatedly.
As to the Black faces, ears etc that's the way they are as pups and later they end up with the coloring of those adults.
As to that big male Lynx against my Airedale with a pack on no less . I know one thing for sure, given the opportunity ole Chuck woulda fought him to the death without question. So I guess as much as I know about Airedales and being totally biased to boot I still have to think that one dog against one large Lynx, I think if the Lynx stood his ground (which I don't think he woulda) the Lynx would win . That's why they hunt cats and bears and such with packs of dogs. Lynx got 4 paws fulla switchblades and a mouth fulla teeth, dogs just got the teeth even though he's heavier.
Sure wasn't something I wanted to find out about with a dog I loved as much as I did that one! Me and that ole boy sure saw a lotta back country miles together.
Don't be a stranger.
Doug
Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennlasher View Post
My uncle (before he passed away) always had an Airedale with his coondogs. About five or six years ago, he bought TWO Airdales, I dunno why, as he was in his late '80s when he got them. My cousin has them now, but he doesn't coon hunt much.
For as long as I can remember, Gilbert had Airdales, and I spent a lot of time at their place, and those dogs. We'd take them squirrel hunting, too, they were always ready to get out and go huntin'. Fine, fine dogs, but a little headstrong at times. That's probably what gives them their charm.
Glenn, they ain't a little headstrong sometimes, they can be just stubborn as hell! I think that's where they get the grit to stand their ground against all comers. Fortunately they are really smart and once trained they are really trained.
They are about all the British used as guard and police dogs. Had a heck of a reputation during WWI for carrying messages. Some breeds a dogs'd get shot and run off over the hill yipping with the message with em, the Airedales had a tremendous reputation of getting all shot up and making it to where they were suppose to go then flopping over dead. Tough dogs. I read back before and around the turn of last century they were rated as the most popular dog in the US.
Here's a kid on the left of this picture you might recognize from later in his life. His mangy ole Airedale scrapper was called Big Duke, kids name was Marion Mitchell Morrison, nicknamed Little Duke after his dog. The name Duke stuck with him for life, hence my dog being named Duke in his honor cause I like what he stood for.
Enough outta me.