Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default 17 wsm

thinking back to when I was hunting fox in new mexico some 14 years ago with a 17 hmr. I wrote in an article for small caliber news that the 17 hmr was marginal on the larger male fox as they had a tendency to run off. they invariably would go into the bunch grass in the ravines. not having snake legongs they were just lost.
in fairness I do have a large box body bob cat mounted I shot with the 17 hmr, dropped in his tracks. he wasn't all amped up like the fox were. going to a fox fight tends to bring them in full of adrenaline.
was wondering if you guys were using the 17 wsm to shoot fox? did a search and got no results for the 17 wsm or Winchester super magnum..
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

looks like you might be the first 17 wsm fox slayer??

Or maybe this fall I might be lucky enough to call one in and find out for ya?

How do you think the 17 CCM would perform on fox? I’m sure you have to pknow I never shot the heavier 20/25 gr bullets very much in the CCM but I’m thinking the CCM and the WSM should be very comparable? But maybe the CCM might have a tad more velocity? Just an assumption going by my experience and the 17-wsm lead free 15 gr ammo @3300 FPS when I was running the 17/17s at 3400 (thinking they are comparable because of the L/F 15 gr linger length compared to the shorter length 17/17???
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

the 17 ccm was the perfect fox cartridge, killed a bunch of fox with my cooper. cooper was faster by about 400 fps, just enough to be that much better at killing fox. never had one run off with the ccm.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Out scouting the deer area with my .22 thinking of getting a rabbit or three.
Saw something in the weeds about 30-40yds out flashing: black & white.
WTH??? I kneeled down behind a log. It heard me and sat down. Scoped it and was a bobcat. Shot it in the head. just tipped over backwards.

Same .22 with a gray. The red I have hanging. Heck a deal! I live on the N side of town, Dad was on the S side. I went over and got him for an eye appt. over here. Driving down the freeway in traffic (13th st bridge). I happened to look and saw "a dead red fox laying against the median wall". Dad said go get it. So I circled around the next exit and went back over a mile and got it.

Must have had a H/A, when I skinned it, wasn't even a bruise on the body anywhere, pelt was in fine shape too. that was almost downtown.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default Ruget

I've killed fox with the old 22LR 22 magnum and 17 HMR. Fox DRT!!! I like my VMBZ with Win 34gr Supreme best!!
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
the 17 ccm was the perfect fox cartridge, killed a bunch of fox with my cooper. cooper was faster by about 400 fps, just enough to be that much better at killing fox. never had one run off with the ccm.
Dang!!! I didn’t remember or think that there was that much difference in velocity between the two... going the miss my CCM well, I guess that I still have a 22 handgun and a few pieces of brassfir it that hasn’t run off yet.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 AM
Supporting Member

Contender Carbine - MGM Barrel - 25 grain bullet - Called in with gray fox fight sound. The 25 grain did too much damage.

I personally would have no hesitation shooting a fox with the 20 grain bullet. I am hoping to take a few reds this winter with my Franklin 17WSM.

The 20 grain works on other critters as well (not the quail, those were taken with a Beeman R9 in .20 caliber):

First Coyote (121 yards):

Second Coyote (154 yards):

First Bobcat:

Last edited by Eric Mayer; 07-20-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 AM

Foxhunter
This article in Predator Extreme recently might help answer your question
Jim

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/pr...guide-calling/
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 AM
Supporting Member

I've been looking at the 17 WSM but there is a lack of rifles available for this cartridge here in NZ, I've found ammo but no rifles.

If the 17 WSM can take a fox a rabbit wouldn't be any problem...…… we don't have foxes here.

This would be a great walk around rabbit rifle here in NZ.
Usually a 22lr is enough for rabbits here, except when they get a bit of hunting pressure, then you can't get close enough in most circumstances for the 22lr to be effective without a lot of hold over.

What is the price of a box of 17 WSM 20gr in the US, here it's NZ$36 a box, makes it pretty pricey but the advantage of it is you don't have to pick up your empty cases and in some terrain here it's pretty easy to lose cases.

Probably the best way to get a 17 WSM is to buy a barrel for my Contender.

Kiwi