Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default BRNO, ZKW 465 22 K hornet

This rifle is in very good condition, great wood, blueing & bore. It comes with ausinal mounts, tasco 3-9x36 scope, Redding delux 3 die set, approx 150 fireformed cases, and a quantity of projectiles. I will email photos to anyone interested. Yes I am in N.Z. but the price will include all export paperwork and postage to your dealer. I have delt with fellas on this forum and happy to give you references from people I have bought firearms from in the U.S.

These rifles were very popular both here and in in Australia, I can honestly say this is the best conditioned example I have seen. I am not sure what the requirements are to import into the U.S. but I would imagine you would need an import permit from your State Dept

$1000.00 USD to your dealer.
my email is jcrees@xnet.co.nz

thanks
Johno
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default Johno

You can buy these on the US for less than your US$1000 asking price. I know a collector with 4 of these in LNIB condition in 22 Hornet, 218 Bee and 222 and two of them are factory full stock versions.

I have seen these go for not much more than NZ$1000 and with the exchange rate the way it is NZ$1000 is about equivalent to US$500.

There is no paperwork required to ship these out of NZ but the purchaser needs an import permit to get it into the US and this has to be done through a FFL if he is purchasing it for himself or a registered importer if he intends to sell it. Even if he applies for an import permit there is no guarantee he will get it.

Why don't you put it up on the local auction site??

Good luck with the sale.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Supporting Member

G'day Kiwi, You must be looking at a different model mate. They were only ever made in 22 hornet. The magazine is hornet specific. You maybe thinking of the brno fox which came in the calibres you mentioned. The 465 was made from approx 1948 to late 60s. One on Gunbroker recently had a starting price of $1.800.00 USD. Two in no where near this condition & without accessories have sold recently on on an aussie site for $1.200.00 AUD

Many of these rifles were re barreled in Aus for the 17 hornet in the 70s when fox prices were very high, they still fetch a premium price when in good condition. To find one in this condition is very hard.

And you do need an export permit, the Customs Export Provision Order 2005 applies. ( see export cotrols)

Always best to be sure your comments are accurate before going to press

cheers
Johno

Last edited by johno; 02-21-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

Hi Johno,

Nope not a different model as they are marked ZKW 465, and do not have Fox marked on them anywhere. The barrels are also original so they haven't been rebarrelled and they look identical to my '55 ZKW 465
Perhaps you have a difinitive history for the ZKW 465 of what was made and I can notify my friend that his 218 Bee and 222 rifles are fakes. I have held and inspected all of his Brno rifles along with his Sako collection.

I have seen ZKW 465's in excellent condition sell here for around NZ$1200 which at todays exchange rate is approx US$600, while AU$1200 translates to about US$770.

I'm sure if you put it up on TradeMe you would get an indication of current market value as there seems to be quite a few collectors of Brno rifles buying on there.

As for the requirement of an export permit, the last time I exported a firearm in 2006 I was told I didn't require an export permit......perhaps different officials have a different take on the laws. The rifle arrived where it was sent with no problems.

BTW have you heard the price of import permits from the US has increased in cost to about US$350 per application, puts quite a significant cost onto purchasing firearms related gear from the US.

I look forward to viewing a difinitive history of the Brno ZKW 465.

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Supporting Member

TOU, Welcome mate. A very interesting link. I have done a bit of research since the comments have appeared, and like you found there is very little info out there. It seems there were two models a ZKW-465 hornet and a ZKW-465 fox, the latter in the other cals mentioned. Ive been collecting for 40 years and never seen or even heard of one. I am waiting on a reply from a collector in Australia to see if he can shed light on the subject.

Kiwi, would love to see a photo of the barrel markings on these rifles to see if the word fox appears after the 465 stamping. Also the date they were made would be of help in researching them. Dont confuse this with the brno fox of the early 70s. Your friend is indeed very lucky for these must be two very rare rifles. To address your concerns with my asking price, and I must confess why it is giving you heartburn I dont understand. I based my price on three rifles I saw listed on Guns America and Gunbroker, they $900.00, $1100.00 and $1800.00 USD. This indicated to me that this model would fetch a better price in the states than here. I decided to place the rifle in the hope of achieving the best price, that is what selling is about. You will notice the rifle included a good bit of kit with it and postage from N.Z. will be approx $100.00. I still consider the asking price fair based on the availablity of the rifle in the U.S. It is up to any prospective purchaser to negotiate with the seller by email or PM, this is the way these things are normally conducted. Re import costs to the U.S. I have no idea and based on the number of firearms I have imported to N.Z. and Australia I would guesss the price is set by the dealer, export licences from the U.S. vary from $75.00 to $400.00 USD depending on who you use. Regard the export permit from N.Z. The Act was amended in 2005 so you must have squeezed through just in time. I have just exported a savage 99 and it got held by customs at Auckland awaiting the export docs

Johno

Last edited by johno; 02-22-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Supporting Member

Tou, Thats a great idea. Mods if you can dump everything relevant to the sale and just put the thread where you think it should go thats fine with me. Consider the rifle the rifle withdrawn and lets get into the ZKW-465 thing, its really kicked up my interest in getting to the bottom of this.

I will add a bit. Have spoken with a long standing collector of these rifles and he agrees with my first comments, Kiwi he thinks you are looking at a ZK-680 which was the fox model

serial #s for the ZKW-465 were as follows 00,111 - 37393 covering 1939 - 1973 Also as I said earlier the magazine and action are hornet specific. If you can show us a photo of the markings on the barrel of these rifles that would be great. Again I repeat if you are correct I will take a nice glass of dry read with my dish of humble pie. Re the 218 Bee, I am thinking here that you maybe looking at a sako which did come in that cal.

Johno