Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 AM

Default WTB; 22 Mag rifle that will shoot sub 1" at 100 yds.

I've already got a 22 mag rifle that will shoot 5 shot groups into 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at 100 yards and wish to improve over this with a rifle that will shoot 5 shot groups inside of 1" pretty regularly.

I've got an open mind for any make rifle you claim will deliver the goods.

Last edited by Centerfire; 12-22-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 AM

Default In a word

Volquartsen!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Default I just sold a

Cooper 22mag to Jordan Funk that will do a lot better than 1". At 50 it will put five under 1/4" and at a 100 it has put 3 under 1/2". But, every one is different and so often it is pot luck as to accuracy. I had to send a 22lr back to Cooper for a new barrel. It came back a super shooter.
Brooks
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 PM

"Volquartsen" What does the preferred brand name of 10/22 22LR rimfire groupies have to do with 5 shot 22 Mag 3/4" groups at 100 yards?
I'm not looking for great 50 yard accuracy with a 22 rimfire.

Brooks,
I agree with you about the pot luck. I also generally shy away from high dollar rifles for fear of what kind of stock it will have that arrives sight unseen.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 AM

check www.cdnninvestments.com they're closing out Anschutz 1720 rifles at $899.
Have Fun,
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 AM

Hey even better....a Cooper LVT Check out www.gunsonthenet.com
Have Fun,
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 PM

I have a Lilja barrel on my 77/22 magnum, and yes it will shoot sub-MOA with Remington ammo. It also performed at nearly the same level with the factory barrel with the same ammo.

The heavy barreled Ruger is a nice rifle for sitting and shooting critters, but I purchased a CZ452 in 22 Mag as a lighter carry around rifle. I tweaked the trigger, but the accuracy wasn't what I wanted, and inferior to the same rifle I had in 17M2.

I think the bedding was the culpret, as the action rocked in the action and the foreend pressure wasn't consistant. I glassed the action and barrel, but haven't made it back out to the range as yet to see if things have improved.

John in Oregon
Old 12-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Scott,
I really do not want to buy a new UNPROVEN rifle out of the box. High end rifles are not cheap, and there is no guarantee of 100 yard sub 1" accuracy. For example, I can buy an Anschutz 1720D heavy barrel rifle for $820. But I have read input on forums from folks that said theirs shoots "core" groups. I've already got a rifle that does "core" groups. (ie: most of the time you get a flyer or two out of a 5 shot group ) Sure, I can tolerate an occasssional flyer in a 5 shot group as long as this is the exception and is not the norm.

If I buy new, it will be a rifle that I intend to dismantle and then have rebarreled. I feel if I pay $350 barrel for a silly little 22 Mag barrel, chances are that the barrel will shoot and will have no peer in accuracy! Right now I'm considering building a Ruger 77/22M with such a barrel, and a replacement trigger. Geeez.....it's not like I'm trying to get 1/2" groups. Having chosen the 22 mag is a very frustrating endeavor in this respect.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:12 PM

Default 22 Mag

Centerfire,
I have a Volquartsen 22 mag Fusion that also came with a 17 HMR barrel. I picked mine up used.
It is the most accurate rifle I own at 100 yards. The best ammo is Remington Premiers 33 grain and I was able to shoot 9 shots(9 round clip) that could be covered up with a quarter.
I don't like the compensator and some of the other items on the Volquartsen line, but you can't complain about the accuracy and customer service.

https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//page...tems.jsp?id=11
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Johnly and LHH,
Thanks for the info.

I guess I best apologize for jumping all over OLEMAN.

I stand corrected. Evidently Volquartsen has added quite a bit to their line since I last checked. Evidently they do make sub 1" accuracy rifles. However, the prices are a bit higher then what I wanted to spend. ($1,150- $1,200 +)

Got to admit, their claim that their 22 mag averages .5" to .75" at 100 yards is impressive.