Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2015, 03:18 AM

Default NOT small caliber, at least in diameter...

Saw a sale on 14.5" AR15 barrel in 300 Blackout...yep...TOO GOOD of a sale to pass up. Have never owned or shot one before, but do have a small stash of heavy 30 cal bullets. Figured....Why not?

Found Armscor brand 300 at brassman = 500 pieces for $110 delivered.

Of course, could not wait for the brass to come in, so, dug the out some range pickup FC headstamped brass with crimped primer pockets. Removed primers, swaged the pockets, removed the decapping stem from the full length die, size the brass, trimmed on my mini lathe, resized with decapping stem installed, trimmed to length, inside/outside chamfered....and started loading 208 gr HPBT's.

Rifle only has a Tasco Pro Point, but am slightly amazed at what the round will do. For fun, shot the 300 yard silhouette and found completely shredded bullet jackets on the ground. Yes....just a little holdover (um...in FEET), but rifle made successive hits by two different shooters.

So, if you have ever had the hankering for a macro micro case caliber, this one is a lot of fun when slinging 208 gr 30 cal bullets at 1200 fps.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Rifle only has a Tasco Pro Point, but am slightly amazed at what the round will do
Just wondering how you put a pistol barrel on a rifle and stay out of jail. Larry
Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Supporting Member

Permanently attached flash hider/muzzle brake that makes it 16+ inches.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Permanently attached flash hider/muzzle brake that makes it 16+ inches.
Thanks for adding the info the other poster was not aware of.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:11 PM

Definitely small cal. As far as mortars go.
Ken.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Default terrific cartridge

I love this cartridge and am glad to see that it has gotten a lot of appreciation in recent years. I have a 16" AR in this cartridge and when used with a suppressor, I have a hard time getting it to cycle fully. It will eject but not pick up the new round. Runs fine without the suppressor with both subsonic and supersonic loads. I have heard that uppers utilizing a pistol length gas system will run better, I believe mine is the carbine length gas system. Either way, it is a terrific gun. Would love to have a 10" barrel version (SBR) but am not willing to get the stamp/can ($$$$). I've had single shot contenders, bolt action guns and now the AR, all chambered for the 30-221, 300 whisper, 300 blackout.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim saubier View Post
I love this cartridge and am glad to see that it has gotten a lot of appreciation in recent years. I have a 16" AR in this cartridge and when used with a suppressor, I have a hard time getting it to cycle fully. It will eject but not pick up the new round. Runs fine without the suppressor with both subsonic and supersonic loads. I have heard that uppers utilizing a pistol length gas system will run better, I believe mine is the carbine length gas system. Either way, it is a terrific gun. Would love to have a 10" barrel version (SBR) but am not willing to get the stamp/can ($$$$). I've had single shot contenders, bolt action guns and now the AR, all chambered for the 30-221, 300 whisper, 300 blackout.
I have a 300 Blackout AR with a 16" barrel also but I got it to shoot supersonic only. I have a version of the 7.62 mini-whisper that I shoot all kinds of stuff with and also do subsonic up to 200gr bullets. The rounds look a little funky but work great in the GI mags just like the big brother 300 Blackout.

The Blackout has been very accurate for me and the little 7.62 mini-whisper is also.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:39 AM

Jim Saubier - What is the diameter of the gas hole in your barrel? Increasing in size might help, depending on what is there now (you need a little more volume with your magic muffler).

22 Boomer - Have not seen that round before. VERY interesting!!

Only brought 16 rounds with us to the range tonight. Purchased a slightly used (one owner, of course) Bushnell AR223 optic. ...and lost one piece of brass to the brass gods!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 AM

in the carbine position I'd open the gas port to .120

you'll still be relegated to slower powders (1680) but it should cycle.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:39 AM

But what do you do with these things? Looks sort of like a fast twist barrel 30 Carbine to me. Larry