Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM

Default 17 cast bullet reloading 40 yrs ago

I made a casting set up yrs ago. The mold a cut with a reamer made from a high speed 3/16 in. end mill gound down to size. This bullet came out at 22.5 grs and I used 2 grs. bullseye powder . I used this bullet in a 17 Ack Bee on a Martini. I had the wrong twist of barrel , so didn't get to see how accurate it would group. If I had a 1/16 twist barrel it probably would have worked OK. The casting came out .002 oversize and then I forced them thru a grease die and then into the final sizer. I wanted to have a squirrel shell to use when in the woods. I would part with this set up if someone would like to try it.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:08 PM

Default small hand loader 1st model

Here is my first tool to reload small caliber cartridges. It proved good, but one thing leads to having more items for the use on the road.

The next loader is a complete set up. I have loaded the best accurate shell as any other tools would. My balance scale is good to 1/10 gr, powder dispenser is great, neck size only, and straight line bullet seater.

Last edited by Les Brooks; 09-21-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:16 PM

The cast would be a lot of fun. I would not look forward to leading a .17 bore.
I have cast tons of bullets over the years with excellent results on critters and paper.
I almost shiver at the thoughts of even a small bit of leading, trying to get it out and what damage could be done. Now, if I had some mercury that would be different.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

Les would you explain why a 16 tw? I've finally finished the parts for my new casting bench. This winter I plan on tackling the 17. I have NOE's 2 molds and push thru sizers. I only run 9 tw barrels in my 17 cal. I'll be using 2500 lube from White Label. What lube did you use?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 PM

Default barrel twist

I believe that a twist similar to a 22LR would be better for a subsonic 17 cal. 22.5 gr. If I wanted to make a new rifle it would be only for lead bullets. I would not shot these bullet in my favorite 17 cal. which I want it to shoot close to max. speed. If you shoot a squirrel with a 4000 fps bullet it leave nothing for you to eat.

What would you do if you could not buy bullets? I find it a challenge to make my dies, reamers, and special items. My reloader kit was in the late '80's and I had requests from people to make them one. If we had to head for the hills I would grab me ammo kit which would have 20 cal. bullets, primers, powder and my reloading kit.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Supporting Member

Les, I hadn't planned on going sub sonic with a 17 cal. Actually never thought of it. I want to get in the 1600 to maybe 2100 fps range. I've hoarded W-W's from the early 70's and will start by adding 1% tin, not sure of the BHN, to start with. As for heading to the hills, I hope I've planned well. Thanks for your insight Les.