Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 AM

Default Best .17 Hornet brass....

Who makes the best brass for the .17 Ackley Hornet (obviously I have to fireform). Which brass is best?

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 07-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Depends on your reamer. The reamer that the smith used on mine is made for winchester brass.

Aaron
Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 AM

Thanks Aaron. I here tell its best to match your reamer to your brass. Don't think I was that particular. Hope its okay.

Jordan
Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 AM

Talked to Greg Tannel. My chamber is cut with a tight carbide reamer fitted to Winchester brass.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Who makes the best brass for the .17 Ackley Hornet (obviously I have to fireform). Which brass is best?
As others have said, it does depend a lot on how your chamber was cut... different brands of Hornet brass have quite widely varying head diameter, rim thickness and case capacity... also brass alloy composition.

Check out the following, created during 17 Hornet case forming and load development work:

My personal preference for 'best case' is for RWS 22 Hornet... very solidly constructed, superb quality and 'torture tested' at the factory to withstand excessive headspace conditions.

RWS is therefore particularly tough brass that will split if annealing temperatures are too low... I learned the hard way!

Water case capacity in grains of fireformed 17 Hornet brass, FLS and trimmed to 1.35"... as an indication for 17 Ackley Hornet:

Hornady 13.40gr
RWS 13.47gr
S&B 13.55gr
PRVI 13.85gr
Winchester 14.15gr
ICI 14.48gr
Remington 14.73gr

Last edited by Tilleyman; 07-22-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added case capacities...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM

Tilleyman:

Thank you very much for that info. What a treasure trove of data! Thanks for all of your efforts. This page should have its own link!

Jordan
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member

Tilleyman,

Your presentation goes a long way to explaining why Hornets give such erratic performance. Well done.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Accuracy depends on rim thicknes the hornet spec says 0.065 + 0.007" for the rim cutaway that could give you a 0.072" gap for your rim to fit in i have tried WW, RWS, PRIVI, HORNADY, and R&P BRASS my thickest rim was only 0.062" and most of them 0.059-0.061".
If the case can move back when you fire the impact of the pin pushes the case forwards then the case body grips the chamber and the case streaches towards the bolt head it weakens the case and will seperate
Tell your smith what brass you intend to use so he can cut the re=bate to fit that brass.
In my Ruger the re-bate is in the bolt head so i machined my bolt head to give me NO rimspace with 0.062"rims and then fitted a shim between the bolt halves.
I use R&P or WW BRASS cause RWS is too costly Hornady had a big variation in case weight AND I WONT TOUCH pRIVE BRASS I BOUGHT 200 AND SCRAPPED THE LOT DUE TO THE WORST FLASH HOLES I HAD EVER SEEN.
Wally
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Its the rimspace that give the eratic performance i been there done that cant find a teeshirt but learned,
Wally
Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM

This explains a lot. I used WW brass and they always came out looking pregnant ( smallest base in Tilleyman's data). Had a reamer made to fit my WW brass and a new barrel fitted. Then I had problems with case separations until I went to just neck sizing. I expect my rim had too much space as Wally stated. Don't have the little rifle anymore but may have to build another. It was a fun little gun.