Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM

ANY Hornet or Hornet variation, that is NOT only neck sized, will give case head separations- should qualify that- in the Hornets I've had and have. That is the manner of the beast, that I attacked many years ago and still do today.

In the .22 Hornet, due to the length of the neck and because of shallowly I seat the bullet, I size only 1/2 of the neck- that is all that is needed. I think Ross Seyfried's last article on the Hornet also said something about this - double shoulder approach to Hornet brass. I am sure this procedure does help align the case in this grossly tapered chamber, which can do nothing but improve accuracy. Mine's petty good, running sub 1/2" at 100 meters EVERY group - from a light barrel and skinny 'Euro' stock.

In the .17 AH, I size all of the neck but NEVER touch the shoulder. I have NEVER had to 'bump' a shoulder.

Yes - Winchester brass does show greater expansion of the base in all three of my chambers - CZ Hornet, CZ AH and Pac-Nor AH. Of course, the two AH's were cut with the same "standard base dimension" Pacific reamer.

Last edited by Daryl; 07-23-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Yes i only neck size as well i set my initial F/L sizing befor fireforming as a very hard push to make sure the base of the case is hard against the bolt face i have opened up my F/L die a tad and only neck size by adjusting the F/L die to do that.
I did but a new Redding f/l die in case i needed it to knock the shoulder back and fully re-size the cases but never needed it.
I re-anneal every 5 times and in over 3,000 fireings i have only had one split shoulder and two split necks and no slack flash holes or expanded bases.
It works for me.
Wally
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Hornet Brass

Tilleyman:

Outstanding pictorial and narrative demonstration/explanation of the variations of different manufacturers products.

Chuck
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Thanks for those kind words, I'm glad it was useful...

In the finest Telemarketing traditions... "But wait, there's more!"

Last edited by Tilleyman; 07-24-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo...
Old 07-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Anyone know who makes Hornady brass? Do they make their own?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Anyone know who makes Hornady brass? Do they make their own?
Had a lot of Hornady brass stamped Frontier.
Wally
Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Most folks say Hornady 17 hornet brass-First Lot was made for them/contracted to Sellier & Bellot.....
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Supporting Member

Tilleyman, great sectioning of cases. Aren't you missing a zero after the decimal point when showing the web thickness between the primer pocket and case chamber.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Oops... you are quite right, will fix it tonight and upload again

Last edited by Tilleyman; 07-24-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Corrected typo in first image...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanenebraska View Post
Most folks say Hornady 17 hornet brass-First Lot was made for them/contracted to Sellier & Bellot.....
As best as I can determine, after sectioning and measuring pretty much every brand of 22 Hornet brass on the market (and some that ceased 20 years ago!) the Hornady factory 17 Hornet brass is very VERY similar to S&B.

Same cupped case head, ragged head stamp to pocket interface, variable depth primer pocket, wall thickness, head construction.

Only differences I could find:
1. The flash hole is very small on S&B brass and had to be drilled out to allow a Hornady 17 Hornet FLS die decap pin to pass through.
2. The case head diameter is slightly smaller on Hornady brass at .2935" vs .2945" for S&B.
3. Case head thickness is slightly different .0560" on Hornady vs .0535" on S&B a difference of .0025".
Items 2 and 3 could be just lot-to-lot tolerance variation.

As others have speculated, if Hornady adds a primer, powder and projectile to an imported brass case they may well be able to legally label it 'Made in USA'... depending on the terms of US legislation.

Last edited by Tilleyman; 07-23-2014 at 10:37 PM.