Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenthief View Post
The firing pin pushes the case forward as far as the rim will allow.
Now the case expands and grips the chamber.
Last the case stretches as far backwards as the bolt will allow.

Hey presto a stretched case.

If i use the O-ring to hold the case against the boltface the shoulder will form in the correct palce from git go and i wont have a stretched case at all.

Is this double dutch?
If you form the cases properly, ie such that the bolt is stiff to close due to the false shoulder of the 22 hornet/ reformed neck contacts the chamber, IMHO you shouldn't need the o-ring. And, the durometer ( squish rating) of an o-ring will be overcome by the firing pin, and some theorize that the firing pin can also seat a "land touching" bullet some , as well.

I have read several posters here mention that fireforming / first forming doesn't fill 100% of the case shape to the chamber and a second firing usually gets to the 100% mark.

I am fairly new to reforming brass, and many here are pro's at it. I suspect they have typed this 100 times and don't "jump in", so to speak.

I have read others use the o-ring trick, but I doubt it is any better, or more to the point, it Can't be as good as setting up your forming dies properly to make brass that closes "firm" so the bolt face is firmly against the brass' base. I look for shiny marks when I am forming, and to that if I can add one layer of tape to the base of the case, and close the action, then my dies are set too low and I add 0.001" shims under the stop ring of the sizing die until I can't close the bolt on a piece of masking tape.

Hope that makes sense

Allen
Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Belt and Braces for me i set form die so its a hard push to chamber round and reduced the rim recess and load out to touch and only neck size
Not had a streched case yet even cut a couple longways cause i cocked up a bullet seating and scrapped the case but still no sign of seperation after about 10/12 reloads.
Wally
Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Default confused

This O ring thing, How do you get the bolt to close, sorry I'm not tracking at all. sgtg out
Old 09-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Push harder, sgt.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Daryl ; Thanks, just like me to make it more complicated than it needs to be. sgtg out
Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM

HA! - just kidding - sometimes works to use a heavier hammer for a job that needs it.

The 'push harder' notation comes from a joke with a person's brake lines that a fellow traffic officer blew by stomping on the brake pedal. The fellow said " NONO push lightly, push lightly"

As to brass for the AH - I still prefer RP & have since 2005 or whenever it was that I chambered up my first one.