Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 PM

22Mag/17HMR/22Hornet/17HH/17A/H. Its not the calibre its the individual gun i bought a Marlin17HMR Best i could get was 1.75" sent it back changed it for a Ruger 77/17HMR all weather 5/8" all day long same ammo.
Shortened it to 17" piller bedded it fitted rifle basic trigger even i could get sub 1/2".
Wally
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Yes the Rem33s do penetrtate more than the 30v-maxs. The 30v-maxs go like hell to I chronoed some lot# over 2,300fps!

Hmmmmm?? Time to break out the chrono and wait for the spring rodent crop to pop up, the one gopher I shot with that CCI V-Max wasn't a straight on solid hit but the results were pretty impressive anyway. I also have to admit that this CZ will out shoot any .22 Magnum I've ever had before and I always liked those old ones a bunch. Guess there isn't really anything to complain about with the rifles and it seems like the ammo changes have been for the better too even if it still lags behind the HMR a bit.
I went to that RWS site, I sure wish I could lay hands on some a that . Maybe this winter when the rimfires are shot less the ammo supply will loosen up some, I hope!!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Supporting Member

Default choices

In my experiece 22 magnum is the finickiest of them all when it comes to ammo it will shoot satisfactorily. I have has 2 , 22mags in the last 10 years or so, the first a Zastave Rem model5 took a clip of every mag ammo made to find out that CCI maxi mag was what it wanted to exell with.

The 2nd piece was the newer CZ semi auto with a trigger your would never believe came from a CZ factory...lol
Tried em all and the only one worth talking about was the 30gr Vamx Hornady. SX
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

That CCI 30 grain V-Max seems to be some real rat worthy gopher ammo in mine too, course that's about all I've really got hold of so far (500 of em).
What kinda groups did your two rifle shoot X? If I hadn't yanked that one low on that .697 inch 100 yard group that woulda been a real ripper with the .22 Mag in my experience. For testing ammo I think Larry's right, I oughta put a 6X20 scope on that critter instead on the 4X12 it's gonna wear permanently.
X did you ever see any of that RWS ammo up there?