Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM

I would guess that cutting the bolt head is not the problem, I would guess that silvering in the bushing without destroying the case hardening may be an issue, or that the construction of the bolt head is not compatible with bushing it. Larry
Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Default I'd agree that there has to be something that just

makes that project an aggravation as well as too time consuming to be $$ wise.

We had a bit of kit at an elex motor repair shop that would lay on nickel over a copper base you'd apply using an electrical method. Sorry but I do NOT do 'trons so my description of what was happening sux.

We would build up journals that were only worn, not damaged. Apply the copper base first then go with the nickel for wear. This on motors up to 1500 hp and we'd warranty them. It was a pretty good sized outfit with over a half dozen locations & 900 employees. All in a day's work The normal build up would be up to .0015" as any more than that would have usually resulted in scoring the journal requiring welding up then turning back to size.

It would be interesting to do a couple of these on OD but I doubt if you could pay for the equipment in 10 years while working for free and consuming the chemicals which are on the caustic side so want to use an old lathe (for journal work). Not a $$ maker at all unless other fussy things could be done that wasn't logical to do otherwise.

Last edited by TAJ45; 09-07-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Supporting Member

The electric motor repair shop around the corner does the same its called brush plating seen .030 build up on 1000 hp motor journals. . Also I have never silvered a firing pin hole bushing in no need press fit or screw in as long as there is a flange at top nothing will move.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Hey Guys,
It's not a matter of being able to work on the bolt. It's a matter of having quality replacement firing pins pre-made so the process is cost effective. Below is a question and quote from Greg Tannel:

Can you bush the firing pin hole & turn the pin on a CZ-527?

"Not at this time for service of just the bolt. If I'm building the rifle, then I do. When I have a replacement Firing pin for the bolt, then I will offer the service again for the CZ. It will show up in the will bush column not the I don't do column. Thanks, Greg Tannel"

pdog
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 AM

Edited my last post.

Kevin
Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 AM

Greg did a CZ for me years ago (and also bushed the bolt) and has done numerous small Sakos for me. Call him at 970-878-5421 and see if he'll do it for you. He is the "go to guy" on firing pin bushing and all things firing pin related.

Jordan
Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Jordan:
It would help IF you'd read before posting!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-09-2014, 03:25 AM

George:

The reason I posted what I wrote was I saw where the OP said Greg's website says no CZs. I was just posting my experience of Greg doing a CZ thinking that if the OP called Greg, he might take on the job, notwithstanding the disclaimer on his web site. Greg can be talked into things. (wink).

Jordan
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM

I talked to Greg and he couldn't do it till after the new year and it was a "maybe" then.

Adam thought we might be able to do a group buy (if any interest) on oversized firing pins from Kiff and he (Adam) could turn them down to fit the firing pin hole.

In the mean time, Adam suggested I try some Tula 556 primers, but I couldn't find any locally. I did find some CCI #41 primers to try. Maybe they will be alittle harder.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default primers

How about the new Federal GM Match AR primers? Supposed to have a thicker cup. I ran some through a CZ 17 Rem and frankly can't tell any difference between the Fed's and 7 1/2's, shot to the same POI. I wasn't getting cratering on it before I tried them so I'm not sure what to expect.