Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 PM

I don't think case length has much to do with the neck length. The length ahead of the shoulder is really all that matters to the neck, you can't push the neck further into the chamber than where the shoulder of the brass hits the shoulder of the chamber. Larry
Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Supporting Member

To get the "actual" measured chamber length, I use the Sinclair chamber length plugs. Once you know the actual length, you check your brass compared to the measured chamber length.
Examples: Got a 6 and 22 BR. Max brass trim length is 1.560". Both chambers measure 1.580. That leaves me .020" so worries when and if my brass is close to 1.560".
Depends a lot on the type of resizing die you use. Full length neck buttons will pull the neck longer with each resize.
Bushing bump dies size the neck and pushes back the shoulder. Not much chance of the brass growing. Throw in a body or full length resize if the bolt gets hard to close and you're good to go for another 5 to 10 + firings.
Lower powder charges will also help keep the brass from moving.
The more you reload and shoot, the better chance you have to figure out what works best for you.