Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Howdy From Australia

Howdy all, first post so I thought I would say hi. I have been involved in hunting for many years with both bow and rifle. This forum is packed full of knowledge and experience. I am fairly new to 17 cal shooting but am enjoying working up loads for this cal, very surprised with the capability of this small cal

Cheers Macca.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if you folks get those "what's in your wallet" commercials Down Under, but nevertheless, whatever IS in there, guard it carefully! This forum induces reckless spending.

What sort of .17(s) are you playing with?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if you folks get those "what's in your wallet" commercials Down Under, but nevertheless, whatever IS in there, guard it carefully! This forum induces reckless spending.

What sort of .17(s) are you playing with?
Howdy Dungheap, I originally picked up a Rem 700 BDL 17 Rem. However whilst shopping for projectiles spotted a new CZ 527 Varmint 17 Rem which is what I wanted originally so yeh I now have two...... ha ha
Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM

set back the 527 barrel and rechamber to 17 m4
Old 09-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome aboard. A very fun and civil place to hang out and exchange views and information on shooting loading and pretty much everything else small caliber related, and a little that isn't.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Welcome:
Where you located over there??
A year or two ago I started a thread asking who and where folks are in your area. About the last time I looked there was over 30 just from OZ alone and several from NZ too. You'll find lot's of "local" company here.
Glad you made it. Tell us more about what you hunt and shoot now.
Enjoy your visits and hide that wallet it only gets more expensive the more ideas you read about.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 AM

G'day Macca, always to see another Aussie on here. As has been stated, guard your wallet tightly, mine has had several chunks taken out since Ive been a member here. This place is jam packed with good information, even if you didn't know you needed it. Never thought I would want another 17, but now have all the bits coming together for another 17/222, it will be a stable mate for my 20/222.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort View Post
set back the 527 barrel and rechamber to 17 m4
Howdy Trev, why not just get a 17 MIV as well

Georgeld, generally hunt deer, pigs, goats and varmint fox and rabbits. I thought I would use the 17 as my walkabout/spotlight varminter. Generally I would run a 250 AI but it weighs a ton, I liked my hunting buddy's 17s. A Sako L461 17 Rem and a Tikka M55 17 Rem, the capability of these as varmint rigs is impressive, it never ceased to amaze me.

Managed 6 foxes and 11 rabbits a few days ago with the new rig. I bedded, floated it and lightened the trigger a fair bit. After working a few differn't loads for 20g - 25g pills with ADI 2208 which is your Varget powder. Ended up with a few good loads but I will play with seating depths a bit more now that I have a load to shoot a few foxes with.

I used 25g Hornady HP, only have a minimal amount left, but they are impossible to obtain here at the moment. I did come up with a few good loads with 20g and 25g Vmax but the jury is still out as I have not seen them as far as capability on fox size game out yonder. More testing and loading to be done still
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post
G'day Macca, always to see another Aussie on here. As has been stated, guard your wallet tightly, mine has had several chunks taken out since Ive been a member here. This place is jam packed with good information, even if you didn't know you needed it. Never thought I would want another 17, but now have all the bits coming together for another 17/222, it will be a stable mate for my 20/222.
Geday Camel, ha ha how true you blokes are correct about getting more and more gear. It has started, never thought I would get a 17 Rem let alone two. Has me thinking about a 221 fireball next Not for a while anyways, not till I sort out these two.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Wink Another Aussie

Why bother with just a 221 Fireball when you could have a 17 and 20 cal version as well.

these small cal cartridges are terribly addictive I blame Trevort for my "Problem"