Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 AM

Default Just finished my first batch of .17 Fireball "match" quality brass!

Took a lot of work and fine tuning of the process, but I just finish forming my first batch of "match" quality .17 Fireball brass from RP .223 Rem brass. Forming was done using 7 different dies and or bushings. Final pass was done using a FL .17 Fireball die in a Forster Coax Press. Brass was annealed using a Bench Source annealer before starting the process and annealed again after the completed brass was cleaned in SS pins. Necks have been turned to .013 and reamed. Brass was rough trimmed during the forming and then final trimmed before cleaning using a Giraud trimmer. Flash holes were deburred and primer pockets uniformed. Brass weight varies less than 2 grains. Next time around I will keep it within 1 grain. I was just a couple cases short to keep it within 1 grain this time around. Besides just culling by weight, any brass that didn't look, feel, form, trim, etc right was discarded immediately. Guessing that I culled at least 30% of what I started with.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 AM
Supporting Member

Annealing?

Adam
Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 AM

Default Just finished my first batch

sure look purty there lined up like that. Bill K
Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
Annealing?

Adam
Quote:
Brass was annealed using a Bench Source annealer before starting the process and annealed again after the completed brass was cleaned in SS pins.
By the look of it!

Glenn
Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Could have left them in the flame another second or so if you want to see the discoloration, but neck sizing and tension are good. It would take 5-6 minutes to run them through again if I decide to. They were brought to a much higher temp almost half way down the original .223 case before the process was started.

There's a good chance I will run them through a Redding FL sizer before I load these up. Being OCD, I will probably run them through the annealer for a little longer one more time.