Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-16-2014, 02:23 AM

Default Zombie Max Bullets

I have been enjoying shooting Hornady's Z-max 32 gr bullets and 18 grains of H4198 in my Cooper .20 VarTarg, but always assumed I could do a little better with some more expensive and theoretically better bullets.

On Saturday I headed to the range with 32 gr Sierra BlitzKing loads to test various setting depths w/ 18.5 grains of H4198. I do testing with three shot groups and I was disappointed with the results. The best three shot group I got was .278 but a second three shot group at the same seating depth was .419. All the other seating depths produced groups in the .3 and .4 range.

I had 10 rounds of my Z-max load, so I figured I would see how they would compare. The first five shot group measured .269 and I followed that with a five shot group that measured .198. I can't tell you how happy I am with bullets that cost about $60 per five-hundred.

I haven't given up on the Sierra bullets yet. I have 25 rounds loaded with 18 grains of H4198 at various seating depths I will try next time I go to the range. If Sierra wants my .20 caliber bullet business these three shot groups need to be tighter and more consistent then the 18.5 grain loads.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 AM

I have switched over to using them from Nosler 32 gn BTs, they shoot the same, around .25 inch in my 20/222, we pay around 88.00 per 500 for them over here which isn't too bad, Noslers are around the 32.00 per hundred price. Haven't tried the Sierra 32gn, and as I have around 1500 Noslers and 1000 Zmax I cant see myself changing any time soon. I use 21gn of AR2207 think its H4198 over your way.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:44 AM

Why are you giving a second chance to bullets that are almost twice the price? I got the same results as you with a few other 32s and now use the z maxes exclusively.

jp
Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 AM

Default Interesting!

Very timely post for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot workup series in my .20VT with 32gr Sierras and 32gr Z-Maxs behind AA2200 and Xterm. Both series delivered good groups with no problems.

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd try the same workup, but switching bullets/powders. The Z-Max's delivered equally good groups, but when I got to the Sierras, the first two five shot groups were good, the third opened up, and the fourth really went wild, with two of the five bullets going through the paper perfectly sideways.

The weather was cooler for the second session, and I didn't see any pressure signs, so I don't know what caused that to occur.

I also tend to lean toward the Z-Max bullets, and have had excellent results (for the price) with Midsouth's Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets.

Another curious situation: Lots of folks on here get their best in the .20VT with H-4198. I've tried it in my rifle in all sorts of combinations, and have not had very good luck with it. Same with LilGun -- some guys say it's great, and for me it shot all over the place. Solved that issue easily: An acquaintance who loads .410 shotshells bought the remainder of my LilGun.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 AM

I bought 200 of the Sierra's when I first got the rifle last spring and they are already loaded up. I don't give up easily on Sierra bullets because they have always been the most accurate mass produced bullets I've used in most my rifles.

The Z-max bullets didn't like 18.5 grains of H4198 as well as 18 grains, but the Z-max bullets did shoot better at 18.5 grains than the BlitzKings.

You are probably right though...I should cut my losses and just shoot the Z-max from now on, provided Hornady continues to make them.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Supporting Member

Tuning with just powder is not going to work, seating depth seating depth seating depth is where you will find the magic, start with middle of the road powder charge and TUNE with seating depth after you get all bullets to make a round hole then play with powder AND neck tension....
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

fell in love with the Zs when they came out, bought them by chance since there was nothing else on the shelf and have been extremely happy as well. nice post
Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Default Zmax

I think they are the best (cheaper) 20 cal. bullet (32 Zmax) you can get. I shoot them in the 20 Vartarg and I hope they will shoot in my new 20 hornet. The 20 grain 17 Zmax are real good out of the 17 HH, hope Hornady gets more of both made before spring. sgtg out
Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Are the sierras significantly longer than the z-max?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM

I've had very good luck with the less expensive Midsouth varmint extremes in 20cal. Might want to give them a try also!

Steve