Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

Default Can 7.62x39 IMI brass be formed into 20 PPC...

The dimensions look possible but will it work? Lapua 220 Russian brass is $750/1000 while the IMI 7.62x39 brass is $116/1000. For a PD hunt, seems like the IMI brass would save me a lot of money.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Redding sells

..form and trim dies to convert 7.62x39 to 6mmPPC and from there you should be able to just neck it down to 20 PPC. I am sure some neck turning would be involved.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Works fine but...

question comes up fairly often... works but 7.62x39 has large primer pocket, the design brass, the 5.45mm stuff, has small rifle primer pocket. Supposedly this is big importance to match shooters. As you indicate, the pasture poodle is not going to know the difference and you can use the bucks saved for gas or gratuities to the land owner or ??? Luck. Happy trails.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

I see it is $166 at Wideners. Where did you see it for $116?

I have often wondered how a small case, with a small 20 caliber hole at the end would behave with a large rifle primer.

If I had a couple of cases I would give it a try. It would make for an interesting experiment.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

I've formed a good many using W-W brass with no problems. Case volume is less than Lapua when formed so be careful with your fire forming loads. Also the brass won't take the pressure of the Lapua. I did it for the same reason, cheaper than Lapua, my loads may be a 100 or so fps less but won't make much difference to a praire dog.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Supporting Member

Ray, how did the large rifle primer effect things? Did you notice anything different?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM

something to consider about brass life and the PPC chamber .......

Ray, was it you or Dave Kessler that formed some PPC brass from WW 7.62x39 brass and the primer pockets opened up after 4-5 firings ??? (I'm having a senior moment and can't remember )

essentially all the tedius case forming work was wasted after several firings b/c the brass could no longer hold primers .. trying to cut costs actually cost more $$$ in the long run

I have no clue about other brands of brass used for a PPC caliber rifle, BUT I do know that Lapua brass will last forever.

Dave Kessler has used the same peice of brass fired more than 40 times in his 17 LN chamber.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare