Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Supporting Member

George I shot the Hornet late 60's with a case full of 4227 but no idea of the velocity. I didn't matter. Our shots were short compared to yours out there. I liked the Hornet then and like it more now. Doug may have shot it in the 50"s!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ray:
Do you recall seeing the pics in the Rifleman of Elmer Keith rearing back from shooting over a car roof with a single shot .50BMG round in a standard rifle of 26lbs?? Sure stood him on his toes. Kinda seems like that was around 1956 issue. Orin had kept that issue for yrs. Claimed it would be a perfect elk round from his place to the huge mountain side about a mile and a half down the pasture. We could watch elk up there with the glass at times. Couple times some of our own hunters dodging around among the tree's with them evading. Perfect time to of had cell phones and txt msgs. Only 50-55 yrs ago though.

Yeah I hear you about the open spaces we have. At times some of us get to stretching some of these varmint rifles a way out there. Shucks, when we can see for 75 miles and the only tree's in sight are either in the river bottoms or ranch yards there's not a whole lot to obstruct the view. As I said in another post not long ago. "hunted a 20,000 acre pasture where the tallest thing in it was p'dogs, unless a coyote or antelope could be seen. Next pasture to the south was just like it only 40,000 acres. Only fence on either was surrounding them. Then there's the BIG ranch's ____________! You need to come visit sometime.

Strange things. When I was spending time in Ga, Fla, and others I felt blocked in as I couldn't see even 200yds unless down the hwy and many of them were not straight that far. Those folks couldn't believe me when I told about looking 45mi NW to Pikes Peak, 75-80mi SSW to the Spanish Peaks, or due west 25miles to the foothills or East toward Kansas with nothing in the way but, still out of sight over the horizon. Our man Rider is from down that direction where there's no tree's too. Over a couple hundred miles in any direction with nothing blocking the view. They can see the mtns from there too, only it's another 100 miles further. Ain't this a great country?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 08-28-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: more bs