Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

I've never been without at least one stock 700 BDL in 17 Remington since they were first sold in the early 1970's. I currently own 2 BDL's along with a couple of other Remngton models and other makes of rifles in 17 Remington. All have been more than hunter accurate and all have shot 25 grain Hornady HP bullets extremely well, including the first one that had a 10" twist barrel.

No 25 grain plastic tipped pointy bullets were available back then to add to the other myths that gun scribes quickly created about the 17 Remington to sound authoratitive and knowledgeable about something most had no actual experience with.

Those old myths seem to still be alive today in several of the "I heard", "I read", or "I think" posts showing up here.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-27-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post

Those old myths seem to still be alive today in several of the "I heard", "I read", or "I think" posts showing up here.

-BCB
With disclaimers, I might add.

That said, I do believe there are good and bad early make barrels. Some years or runs were probably better than others and I bet it was 50/50 at times. There are enough experienced 17 Rem old timers out there that some of the reports must be accurate. I wasn't even born when they came out, BTW.

All I'm saying is there I'd definitely some evidence of bad barrels out there. Whether it was one of your guns or someone else's.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

For the record, the primary gun scribe who touted the perils of the 17 Remington early on, and who began many of the myths, later admitted that he had never seen or shot a 17 Remington when he wrote his infamous bad juju article. Another example of "I believe" reporting.

In fact many of the reportedly "bad barrels" were the result of no cleaning equipment or complete lack of understanding of how to clean a small bore rifle. One of my early BDL's was sold to me with a very cheap sympathy price attached from the seller stating I would hate the gun because the barrel was bad. I cleaned it properly and shot it a bunch for several years, with proper maintenance keeping it running just fine. He later tried to buy it back after seeing that I was having good luck with it. I didn't sell. Poor cleaning techniques or no cleaning equipment have routinely been ignored in place of the bad barrel theory.

I guess whatever one has to believe becomes reality in spite of no experience with the older 700's. If I ran across a used 17 Rem 700 BDL tomorrow I'd have to also buy an extra gun case to get it home on an airplane from NW Montana in spite fo the fact I truly don't need another one. Chance are very great that it would be a great shooter after a thorough cleaning. I "think"............

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-29-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: emphasis added............clarity....
Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 AM

I think you missed my point. One can generalize in either direction. To say that there was never an issue with any 700 BDL 17 Rem's is to say I've had experience and shot every 700 BDL 17 Rem ever made.

I'm sure there are guys out there with as much experience as you have with this model that can say the complete opposite. I've read it myself, talked to many about it, etc. I'm not claiming I know everything about the early models either. I think many fall into that trap and believe their personal experience is gospel.

We can't base facts on one man's experiences, that's all. I "think"...
Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

More extrapation. I never said there haven't been bad 17's just like I'd never say there haven't been bad 30-06's. My only point was don't believe everything you read and place it above experience to shower the Internet with facts. If I were the op I'd buy it, clean it good, and "I think" good money would find it's a shooter in spite of what some folks have read and come to believe......

-BCB

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Rem 700 17Rem

A Rem 700 BDL in 17 Rem was my first taste of the small cals. It shot great with Hornady 25 HPs. I eventually had it re barreled to a heavy barrel and it shot great also.
Sonds like you have found a gun that is worth a try.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 PM

[quote=Bayou City Boy;207073
In fact many of the bad barrels were the result of no cleaning equipment or complete lack of understanding of how to clean a small bore rifle.
[/QUOTE]

That happened with the .220 Swifts - it happened with the .17 Rems and it happened again with the .204 Rugers - & more than one of those, right here locally. Seems after a 1/2 dozen boxes of ammo - non-stop shooting, one afte the other no cleaning, through the bores,

"that new .204 just heats up the barrel and plum wears 'em out - they're going too fast"!