Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 AM

Default Barrel length

Miller is as close as anyone, with his comments. Barrel length will depend along the lines of what and where you shoot. It really is a moot point, as you are going to develop a accurate load and sight your rifle for that load and then learn to put in the correct spot. Remember a slow/accurate bullet is better than a fast/inaccurate bullet in the wrong spot. Get what is comfortable for you and learn to shoot it well and what the trajectory is for that rifle, load and caliber. Bill K
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Accuracy guru Virgil King (of the mythical "Houston Warehouse") stated that one thing he was sure of, and never deviated from, was that a barrel had to be exactly 21.75" long to produce the "zeroes groups" accuracy he demanded. He claimed that particular length was magical for all 22-cal, 6mm, and even 30-cal benchrest rifles that came into The Warehouse over the years.

So, food for thought: If you could gain dramatically better accuracy at the cost of 130 fps lost, you'd make the swap every time, right? I feel that, in general, shorter barrels tend to be a more accurate than longer ones. And shorter barrels definitely make for lighter and handier hunting rifles.

I'm as in love with velocity as the next chap, but I have become less fixated on it lately. Especially after I recently shot some hot 270 Win loads I made twenty years ago and not only had to strain to lift the bolt, but had a spent primer fall out in my lap.

Last edited by brians356; 09-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default well...

I would sure like to see ole Virgil grab up one of his rifles he used in that Houston warehouse and fire off 3 shots at a coyote beating it out of the county.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tred1956 View Post
Not sure if you have seen this. But might be just what you are looking for:

http://www.bullberry.com/204_ruger_velocities.html

Safe shooting
Doug
Obviously Fred doesn't get his knowledge from quickload.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians356 View Post
Accuracy guru Virgil King (of the mythical "Houston Warehouse") stated that one thing he was sure of, and never deviated from, was that a barrel had to be exactly 21.75" long to produce the "zeroes groups" accuracy he demanded. He claimed that particular length was magical for all 22-cal, 6mm, and even 30-cal benchrest rifles that came into The Warehouse over the years.

Ole' Virg was probably referring to benchrest carrtridges, BR and PPC case? He may have been a Guru but it's pure nonsense to think 21.75" is the best length for every cartridge.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
Ole' Virg was probably referring to benchrest carrtridges, BR and PPC case? He may have been a Guru but it's pure nonsense to think 21.75" is the best length for every cartridge.
That is true but if the barrels over 30" didn't cost more you'd have a lot of fools making 17 Vartrags with 30" plus barrels swearing they were getting another 200 fps.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM

I have shortened my 17 rem barrel from 24" to 20". Haven't shot it yet but my typical shots at fox or crow are sub 150 yds so I don't imagine I will notice any difference. The reason I shortened it was a. to fit a 17 cal specific suppressor and b. to reduce the overall length. The old suppressor was muzzle mounted but the new one sleeves back over the barrel. Will post results soon.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
Virgil never said that. He only ever said it was the required length if you needed all groups < 0.100". If you're satisfied with 0.200" any old length will do.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians356 View Post
Virgil never said that. He only ever said it was the required length if you needed all groups < 0.100". If you're satisfied with 0.200" any old length will do.
I remember reading that article when it came out and probably still have the issue stashed away somewhere. Also remember thinking "hogwash" at the blanket statement that 21.75" is THE hot sh#t length if he's referring to all BR cartridges. Especially considering every different cartridge that has been used in benchrest. But hey, believe whatever you want..

"......If you needed groups <.100". If you're satisfied with .200" any old length will do." Get serious....How many hunting rifles just plain ol' guns - '06's or 25-06's or whatever - are capable of even coming close to .2", much less .1"? Also.............the thread was asking about 17Rem / .204 and barrel length vs. velocity.

***Edit: As per BCB's link......the article says they found "....a barrel MUST be 21-3/4" long for optimum accuracy.." No mention of which cartridges, but they were shooting BR cartridges. For someone to read that and think 21-3/4" is THE best/most accurate length for everyone's rifle no matter what the chambering, is pretty silly.

Last edited by Ackman; 09-17-2014 at 03:56 PM.